Hey look at this, a dinosaur movie review that isn't Jurassic World.
The End of Oak Street is a sci-fi survival thriller film that's produced by Bad Robot Productions and Jackson Pictures with Warner Bros. Pictures acting as distributor. David Robert Mitchell both wrote and directed.
The story is, the Platt family maybe struggling with their own issues at home but it's something a lot of families go through. Then one morning while searching for their dog they quickly find out their entire neighborhood went from living in 1982 to the prehistoric times with dinosaurs roaming around ever turn. Now the family must find a way to survive.
Initial Reaction
I've been excited for this movie since I put it on my Most Anticipated list. The reason for why is because of the director/writer. He brought us the horror movie It Follows and that was amazing. So I was curious if he'll bring us another big hit.
Cons
I've got nothing.
Middle Ground
First we have the writing. Now I'll admit this is still a very fun movie. It provides everything you want. Dinosaurs, thrills, violence, and bits of humor. If you want to sit around and watch people survive dino attacks, this has you covered. Having said that there's much in the way of character. Don't get me wrong you're actually rooting for them to survive, but all of there issues about thinking of getting a divorce and financial struggles are pretty basic.
Pros
Now if there's one of many praises to give is the tone. This movie is pretty intense despite a PG-13. Much like the Platt family you almost don't get a moment to breath. Because you're always wondering "Okay where's the other dino. I know it's here, where is it." I also gotta give credit to the pacing. This was a breeze to watch. No scene is wasting time and by the end it's not gonna feel like the movie was overstaying its welcome. My last praise goes towards Ewan McGregor and Anne Hathaway's performances. Despite their characters being very simple, these two still provide some really good acting. They both in their own way anchor the film by bringing out a sense of humanity.
Overall I see The End of Oak Street as a really good popcorn movie. So if that's all you want to see for the summer then go see this movie.
My final rating is, Good.
That's all for now folks. Come back on Mon, Aug 17th, for another Underrated Films and this time I'm going animated. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:
Post a Comment