Monday, June 10, 2019

The Secret Life of Pets 2 Review





The Secret Life of Pets 2 is 3D animated comedy film and the sequel to 2016's The Secret Life of Pets. The movie is produced by Universal Pictures and Illumination and distributed by Universal Pictures. The Secret Life of Pets 2 is written by Brian Lynch and directed by Chris Renaud.




The story is Max is going through some major changes in his life. His owner Katie has gotten married and they have a kid named Liam. With the new baby boy around Max has become overprotective. Then one day the family goes on trip to the countryside. At the farm Max meets a new dog named Rooster and he decides to help Max overcome his problems.







Initial Reaction



Now having been a fan of the first movie I was definitely looking forward to the sequel. The trailers did a good job getting me excited. However I still had my skepticism because I didn't want to get myself too excited. With that aside though I was still going to see the film.








Cons




I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.








Middle Ground




One thing that's really a mix bag for me is Gidget's story. Now this film has three stories, you have Max's story where he's learning how he shouldn't be afraid of everything, then you have Snowball and Daisy's story where their going to rescue a tiger, and then you have Gidget who's going to rescue Max's favorite chew toy. Yeah her story was weak but at the same time it comes to play at the third act. So you're gonna have this feeling of it shouldn't have happened but at the same time you'll be like "what had this story NOT happened then everything in the third act wouldn't work". Like I said very gray area with Gidget's story.








Pros




One element of the movie I liked was Max's story. I think be can relate to the fact how now there's this little kid in your life and you feel the need to protect him or her from anything and everything, but at the same time you need to let them explore the world and learn what not to do. My other favorite thing about the film is it's humor. Like it's very movie it's quite funny. You'll laugh, your kids will laugh, and people in the theater with you will laugh. Once again Illumination gives their films great animation. Everything moves smoothly and the details on the animals all the way from dogs, to tigers, and farm animals are all well done. Another aspect I found enjoyable about it was there wasn't anything that overstay it's welcome. This is a very quick and to the point movie and that'll definitely make the experience of seeing very easy. The final thing I'll give the The Secret Life of Pets 2 credit is the performances. Much like the first film the cast really bring a comedic wit to the characters their voicing. Everyone was so good including newcomers such as Patton Oswalt, Tiffany Haddish, and the one and only Harrison Ford.








The Secret Life of Pets 2 is a very fun movie for the whole family. Max's story was good, the humor was good, the animation is top notch, there's not a single moment that's overplayed, and the voice work was done really well. The one thing that really brings the movie down from it's predecessor is Gidget's story.







My final rating is Okay








I'm gonna say the same thing I said in my Dark Phoenix review give this movie a watch. So that's going to do it for me, come back on Thursday, June 13th when I return to the Road to Rambo V: Last Blood with my review of Rambo: First Blood Part II. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment