Saturday, June 19, 2021

Luca Review

 


Luca is a 3-D animated coming-of-age fantasy comedy movie. The film is produced by Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Pictures and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Luca is written by Jesse Andrews and Mike Jones and directed by Enrico Casarosa.





The story is in the seaside town of Portorosso two boys/best friends named Luca and Alberto are enjoying their time just being kids. They seem like your typical young boys but, they hide a secret. You see Luca and Alberto are actually sea monsters who came to the surface to see what the world from above is like. Now in order to make sure nothing goes wrong they have to make sure they don't blow their cover.










Initial Reaction


When I first saw the trailer for Luca it actually did peak my interest, it seemed interesting and also looked like it was going to be a fun movie. And really that's all I gotta say as to why the movie pulled me in.








Cons


One issue I had with the film is the art style. I tried to like it for what it is but I just couldn't. Mainly because as someone pointed out, it kinda looks like the Grubhub commercial. You know the one, with the really bad dancing, the really bad character designs, and the even more awful music. Yeah that one. Another thing I didn't like about it was the villain Ercole. Now I wasn't expecting much a big super evil bad guy especially with this film but he was so generic. Almost every bit of his dialogue can be replaced with "People love me because I'm me!", "I'm amazing just because I simply exist!", "Everyone in this town sucks expect me because well I'm ME!" and so on and so forth. The last of my complaints come from the post-credit scene. I am so over post-credit scenes that are just in the movie for one last laugh or simply added nothing. Especially with the character that was used. I don't think anybody needed to know what happened to him, I even think maybe some people treated him as an afterthought.








Middle Ground


The only real mix bag I had with Luca is we don't know very much about the underwater world. We know bits and pieces but not much. We know that Luca and his family are farmers and they have neighbors who are also farmers but, what else? I really would've enjoyed seeing more of that part of this world.








Pros


My first bit of praise for the movie is gonna be quick cause it goes without saying, the animation is wonderful, even though I wasn't a fan of the art style one of the aspects that really kept me going with the movie was the animation. Another thing I liked about Luca was it was just a fun movie. This is definitely one of Pixar's more laid back films, yes there are stakes and yes we do get drama but, it's just a simple movie with a simple story of two buddies hanging out and finding out about the surface world. And I think a lot of people are going to enjoy that. What also made Luca pretty good movie was the voice acting. Of course I wasn't surprised with the adults they were great, the cast that REALLY made me enjoy the movie was Jacob Tremblay (Luca), Jack Dylan Grazer (Alberto), and Emma Berman (Giulia), all three of them provide very good performances and they all work well off of each other.








Luca has it's flaws but still enjoyable, what with great animation, a more summer fun/simpler story, and a great voice cast. I did wish we could see more of the underwater world other than what we got. My real issues were the art style, a bland villain, and another pointless post-credit scene that I can add to my list of pointless post-credit scenes.








My final rating is Good.








So, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Thursday, Jun 24th of my review of Batman: The Long Halloween - Part One. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment