Monday, August 15, 2022

Day Shift Review

 


Day Shift is a horror action comedy film. It's produced by 87North Productions and Impossible Dream Entertainment and distributed by Netflix. Day Shift is written by Shay Hatten and Tyler Tice and directed by J.J. Perry.





The story is a blue collar father named Bud just wants to provide for his wife and daughter. So he gets a job as pool cleaner. However, this isn't really his job. It's all a front for his real source of income, that being a vampire slayer. During one of his jobs, he angers one of the most dangerous vampires out there. Now Bud will face off against this powerful vampire, all in effort to protect his family.








Initial Reaction

The reason why I wanted to see this was because of the writer, Shay Hatten. He's been one quite a roll when it comes to his screenplays. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, Army of the Dead, and Army of Thieves have all been very entertaining and good movies. So when I heard he wrote this as well, I was very curious if he's got yet another hit.








Cons

I've got nothing, so just move on.








Middle Ground

One thing I wished they did more of in this movie was explore the lore. Because we do have some understanding of this vampire hunting business called the Union or the business in general, but it's a surface level understanding. Guess I was wondering how do they handle the mess they leave the behind? Do they make up some excuse, or do they do a whole Men in Black thing where they do their own version of wiping memories. Then we have the characters. Now I by no means hated them, but I do admit their pretty standard. So I don't think you'll love them, but I think you'll also think they're alright. Expect for the villains, they were generic.








Pros

One thing I want to give credit for is the acting. It's nothing compelling, but given the pretty decent material, the actors and actresses do do a pretty good job. So even if their characters didn't have much, it's still pretty amazing how they all manager to make something work. What I also enjoy was the humor. Sure, not everything worked, but for the ones that do, you'll definitely get a good laugh. Now this is a pretty simple movie, there's no doubt about that. But that's very easy to forgive because by the end of the day, the movie still gives you what it promised. Which is a very fun vampire flick. Despite some slight flaws, I was still having a good time with this movie. I'll still admit it's not perfect, but I still got a kick out of it. The last thing I'll tell you about is the action. Now this is a Chad Stahelski production. For anyone of you who don't know, Chad's the one who's been directing all of the John Wick films. So because of that you should expect some awesome action scenes, and you definitely get that. Not only are they very bloody, but they're very exciting. There's a lot of creative fight scenes with the vampires, and you can also kind of feel the impact of a hit. My two favorites were the opening fight and one involving a "nest", as they call it in the film.








Overall, Day Shift isn't too bad. We got some pretty good acting, good humor, it's simple but does provide a good time, and the action is awesome. I just wish there was just a bit more to the characters (especially the villains), and just a little bit more to the film's lore. Not too much to put where you should just make it it's own movie, but just enough to answer some of the bigger questions.








My final rating is Okay.








So, that's all for me. Come back on Thursday, Aug 18th for my Cinematic Disasters review of Rock-a-Doodle. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment