Saturday, May 20, 2017

Alien: Convenant Review





Alien: Covenant is a science-fiction horror film. It's a sequel to 2012's Prometheus, it's also the second installment to the Alien prequel series, and the sixth film in the Alien franchise. It's produced by 20th Century Fox and Scott Free Productions and distributed by 20th Century Fox. It's directed by Ridley Scott and written by John Logan & Dante Harper


The story is crew members of a colony ship land on a planet that seems to be an uncharted paradise. Soon they discover a threat that they've never seen before and now they must escape this planet.



  • Negatives

One of my biggest complaints is we don't get to know more about The Engineers. We know how their race died but we don't know why they created humans.


Another bad thing about this movie is they make it obvious of who's going to die. They do it by using the clichéd "hey I'm going over here to do this thing".


Also James Franco has a cameo appearance in this but it felt really pointless to have a big named actor like him do that.



  • Mix
Nothing to say here so let's move on.



  • Positives

One thing to praise this movie for is the amazing design to the world the crew of the Covenant land on. It just looks like I said before amazing although it's a Ridley Scott film and we should have expected that. So points for that.


The movie also has great performances. I was surprised to see Danny McBride play a serious character and he did a very good job at that but the person who deserves the most credit is Michael Fassbender. He did an excellent job playing both David 8 and Walter.


There are two very memorable scenes that I loved in this movie. One scene was two characters are in a cave and one is trying to change the point-of-view of the other character. I'm not giving away many details about that scene because 1) my words do it no justice so you have to see it and 2) I felt like I would be giving you a spoiler to who the villain is. The other scene is the birth of the classic Xenomorph it was very disturbing but the CGI and the way it was shot was done to a perfect ten.


Another thing I liked about this movie was it introduce another Xenomorph species that being the Neomorph. The way it comes out of a person's body is very gory and I also liked it because I'm a sucker when an Alien movie gives us a new Xenomorph breed. Expect for the Newborn in Alien: Resurrection that thing was just stupid.


The other positive thing to say about this film is they tell us who made the Xenomorphs & why. I can't tell you in detail who or why because it completely spoils a big part of the movie.


My final positive to give this movie is they didn't focus are showing the Xenomorphs too much. I know a lot of people complained about that but for me it was a good thing because if you show the monster/killer of your movie too much you lose a lot of suspense. So thank you Alien: Covenant for keeping the Xenomorphs screen time limited.



Alien: Covenant's weaknesses are not giving us more information on The Engineers, an outdated way of telling us which characters are going to die and a pointless James Franco cameo. It's strength however are a beautiful world, well done performances mainly from Michael Fassbender, two very great scenes I will remember forever, the Neomorphs, and who created the Xenomorphs and why, and not giving the Xenomorphs too much screen time.



My final rating for this movie is Good


So if any of you read my first Cinematic Disasters review you would know that the next movie for that segment will be Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. That review will be up on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment