Saturday, September 8, 2018

The Nun Review




The Nun is a gothic supernatural horror film. It serves as a spin-off to 2016's The Conjuring 2 and is the fifth movie in The Conjuring Universe. The film is produced by New Line Cinema, Atomic Monster Productions, and The Safran Company and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. The Nun is written by Gary Dauberman and directed by Corin Hardy.




The story is it's Romania 1952 and a young nun has taken her life. A Catholic priest and a novice are sent to investigate the mysterious death, however during this investigation they discover dark and unholy secrets. This mystery also has them crossing paths with a demonic force in the form of a nun.






Initial Reaction


Now I've seen both the Conjuring films and the two Annabelle spin-offs and I have loved them (well expect 2014's Annabelle but no fan likes to talk about that). So naturally I was excited for another Conjuring spin-off. Although as always I do hold my excitement and be skeptical while also waiting to judge the film's final product.





Cons




One thing that got to me was a very big inconsistency. Basically what it was was this I think necklace sort of thing that would help you not be possessed by Valak aka The Nun. But then in the final act of the movie one of the characters does get possessed despite having the necklace. Which just had me questioning. How become during a large majority of the movie it worked but then when we got to the third act it didn't?





Middle Ground




Now I know I said in my Annabelle: Creation review and my A Quiet Place review I said I hated jump scares. But for some reason in this film I didn't mind them too much. I think what it was is some were predictable and other times they actually caught me by surprise.





Pros



One thing to love about this film like the previous Conjuring movies is the atmosphere. From the very beginning of The Nun you just feel like something isn't right even when the titled villain isn't on-screen. Another thing I dug about the film was the backstory to The Abbey (aka the castle our main characters are in). It may not be ground breaking but it was definitely a good story to why the place is as evil as it is. I also liked the performances. Taissa Farmiga and Demián Bichir were great as our heroes and it didn't feel like they were forcing themselves to look scared. Jonas Bloquet (he plays a character named "Frenchie") provided some humorous moments, and Bonnie Aarons played Valak/The Nun amazingly. She doesn't say anything but what made her performance work was all the creepy facial expressions she made.







The Nun is by no means a perfect film nor do I feel like you should rush out to see it, but overall it's still an enjoyable film. The atmosphere gives you chills, the history of The Abbey was good, and the performances were great. Some jump scares did catch me by surprise while others you could see coming a mile away. The only real problem I had was that big inconsistency with the necklace.




My final rating is Okay







State of The Project (Aug 13th - Sept 10th)




Aug 13th - A Rant on The Childhood Ruined Hyperbole



Aug 16th - I've Cancelled My Aquaman Easter Eggs Post



Aug 25th - Sorry There's No Happpytime Murders Review



Aug 27th - What You Probably Didn't Know About Rocky (1976)



Aug 30th - Raiders of The Lost Media - Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Kollection



Sept 8th - The Nun Review



Sept 10th - What You Probably Didn't Know About Iron Man (2008)







NOTE: IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL TELL YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment