Thursday, May 23, 2019

A Look Back at Aladdin (1992)


Aladdin (1992)


Aladdin is a 1992 animated musical fantasy film. The movie is the thirty-first Disney animated feature film and the fourth movie produced during the Disney Renaissance era. Aladdin was produced by Walt Disney Pictures and Walt Disney Feature Animation and distributed by Buena Vista Pictures. The film was written by Ron Clements, John Musker, Ted Elliott, and Terry Rossio and directed by Ron Clements and John Musker.



The story is a street rat named Aladdin has fallen in love with Princess Jasmine. One day Aladdin finds a magical lamp with a genie in it. With Genie's help Aladdin hopes to win Jasmine's heart. However what he doesn't know is the evil Jafar has his own plans for Aladdin's new found lamp.







  • Negatives



I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.








  • Mix




Now I really did enjoy the film's animation. One of the things I didn't notice when I watched this as a kid was how the animators used two different styles for the characters. The more serious characters have a more realistic movements to them while the comedic ones get more of a squash and smash style. That was really creative of the animators part. However what didn't work for me was the use of computer animation. I know I shouldn't be too hard on the CG animation since this was 1992 but sorry I just wasn't all for it.








  • Positives




One thing that can definitely be enjoyed from Aladdin is the comedy. This is truly one of Disney's funniest films from their Renaissance era. Some of the best bits were from the Genie.




Now let's talk about the characters. There all great. The comedic ones really help make this a funny story while the main characters (Aladdin, Jasmine, and Jafar) help bring out the more serious moments. What also makes them all great is on both the humorous sidekicks and the main stars can stand by themselves.




What also made Aladdin a Disney classic was it's main villain Jafar. The guy was one part devious and one part cunning. His best moment was the final act of the movie.




The final aspect of Aladdin I'll give it credit for is the film's musical numbers. Those songs will without a doubt get stuck in your head. The best songs being "A Whole New World" and "Friend Like Me".







Aladdin is not only one of my favorite animated movies but a classic from the Disney Renaissance era. It has great comedy, even greater characters, Jafar is definitely a top 10 Disney villain, and the songs are very fun to listen to as well as memorable. Now while I did enjoy the animation for the most part I just wasn't all for the 3D parts.







My final rating is Great








Alright guys, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Saturday, May 25th for my review of the 2019 version of Aladdin. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment