Sunday, June 21, 2020

A Look Back at Doom Patrol - Season 1


Doom Patrol (TV Series 2019– ) - IMDb


With Doom Patrol Season 2 coming out in only three days it only makes sense that I review the first season. So let's do this.





Doom Patrol is a web tv show based on the DC Comics' team of the same name. The show is produced by Berlanti Productions, Jeremy Carver Productions, DC Entertainment, and Warner Bros. Television and distributed by Warner Bros. Televison Distribution. The show was developed by Jeremy Carver.





The story is four people who have gone through tragic events have been brought together and treated by Niles Caulder aka The Chief. One day The Chief is kidnapped by Mr. Nobody, now this unlikely pair of heroes along with Cyborg go on a cross country roadtrip to find Chief and put a stop to whatever Mr. Nobody is planning.








  • Negatives


I've got nothing to say. So let's move on.







  • Mix



One thing I'm mixed on is the CGI. I don't hate it because in some areas it's fine nothing mind blowing but passable, however there's times when I just wasn't a fan of what I saw.



The other thing I thought was okay was the suit for Cyborg. I understand why it looks the way it does because it wasn't in the budget for something a bit more cinematic but at the same time it is hard to believe that the character has advanced technology when people will be comparing it to a Halloween costume.






  • Positives


Now let's get on to more positives things to say about Doom Patrol, one of those being the performances. The cast does a fantastic job portraying these characters, two of my favorite performances come from Brendan Fraser and Diane Guerrero. Mainly because Brendan has to do a ton of voice work to let us know what or how the character of Cliff/Robotman is feeling and Diane is playing a character (Crazy Jane) who has 64 personalities. And she does great with how each personality is supposed to be.



What also makes the show a great watch is it's humor. There were so many times when I was just laughing and smiling at whatever joke or a huge WTF moment was going on. That one scene where a character flexed the wrong muscle gets me everytime, if you watched the show then you all know what I'm talking about.



Now to praise Doom Patrol's strongest aspect which is it's character development. We really dived in on who this people are, how they feel, and what there going through whether it be the adventure itself or whatever problems they're trying to work through. And it's not just the team that gets this treatment it's also characters like The Chief and Mr. Nobody we also get to understand.








While I have mix feelings on the CGI and Cyborg's suit what makes me forgive those slight short comings are the performances, the humor, and the well written character developments.








My final rating is Great








So yes before season two premieres on DC Universe or HBO Max which ever streaming service you use, I strongly recommend that you watch season one of Doom Patrol. So that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Jun 29th for part five of Looking Back at the Film's of 2019. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment