Saturday, June 13, 2020

Da 5 Bloods Review




Da 5 Bloods is a epic war drama. The movie is produced by 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks and distributed by Netflix. Da 5 Bloods is written by Spike Lee, Danny Bilson, Paul De Meo, and Kevin Willmott and directed by Spike Lee.





The story is four African American Vietnam veterans return to Vietnam. Here they search for the remains of their fallen squad leader and the promise of buried treasure. During this quest they battle through the forces of humanity and nautre all while confronting the last ravages of the war.








Initial Reaction


What really got me interested in this movie was the synopsis. I really got my attention and I really couldn't wait for the movie to arrive. Then the trailer dropped and I was even more excited for Jun 12th.






Cons



I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.







Middle Ground



One mix feeling I had with the movie was, it felt like there could have been scenes that could have been removed. Because while there are tons of good scenes in the film there were moments were it just felt like we've already been here before. Another grey area with Da 5 Bloods which will mostly likely be it's biggest grey area is while the movie's message does have a good balance there are scenes that will spark a debate. Which I feel did drag the movie down just a bit. Because it felt like it was going to learn towards a side but then things happen that makes it seem like it is leaning towards one side of the political spectrum.







Pros



One thing I enjoyed about Da 5 Bloods was some of the techniques. For instance there were times when the aspect ratio would change, not only was a cool trick but it also showcase what tone the movie was going for. Another thing I liked was how the movie showed the absolute horror that was Vietnam. Not only with graphic images (which by the way if you get sick very easily you may not like this movie) but also with the characters. They're all broken way one or another because of this war. It really shows us the audience just how horrible it was back then. What I also liked about the film and something I wasn't expecting was the escalating events. Because at first you think it's just going to be a treasure hunt/them looking for the remains of their fallen soldier/friend but then it turns into a fight to survive. The final thing I'll give praise for the movie for is the performances more specifically to Delroy Lindo as Paul. Lindo did an amazing job with this character. He nailed how a former soldier would act if they didn't get any sort of treatment for their PTSD. So good job for Delroy Lindo.








Da 5 Bloods is a good movie. What with it's filmmaking tricks, showing not telling about the horrors of Vietnam, escalating events, and performances, mostly from Delroy Lindo. The mix bags are the runtime and how the story has a slight habit leaning towards a specific side.








My final rating is Good








Okay, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Jun 15th for my review of Disney's Artemis Fowl. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment