Thursday, September 16, 2021

Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog Review

 


Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog is an animated direct-to-video movie that's a crossover between Scooby-Doo and Courage the Cowardly Dog. It's also the thirty-third direct-to-video Scooby-Doo flick. The film is produced by Warner Bros. Animation, Cartoon Network Studios, and Stretch Films and distributed by Warner Home Video. Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog is written by Michael Ryan and directed by Cecilia Aranovich.





The story is Mystery Inc. go to Nowhere, Kansas to look for Scooby-Doo. When they finally do find him they also meet Courage and his family, Muriel and Eustace Bagge...oh there's also giant size swarm of Cicadas flying around wreaking havoc all over the place. Now the gang along the Bagge family must put a stop to this and find out who set this whole thing up.












Initial Reaction

Now as a kid I always wanted these two to meet. It was just one of those perfect crossovers. I remember one time they had a skit on Cartoon Network where Courage and the Scooby gang were just chatting around, and something was HEAVILY implied to have happened between Fred and Daphne. So when I saw the trailer the little kid in me was really excited, although I was a bit worried because Courage creator John R. Dilworth wasn't involved, but I still had hope that this'll be good.









Cons

My only issue with it was it can get repetitive at times. Like they Eustace does his ooga booga booga shtick like I think four times throughout the movie. It would've been fine if it did two times but that many really did get old pretty quick.









Middle Ground

The only mix bag was the animation. It looked really great on Scooby and the gang, but it really takes some getting use to with Courage and his group. It didn't look bad by any means it was just a different style when compared to the show.









Pros

One of the more positive things about the movie is the humor. Now, sure you do get a joke that doesn't work but for me, I found myself laughing quite a lot. What also worked for Straight Outta Nowhere was the voice work. Everyone not only did a fantastic job voicing there characters, but there was a lot of good chemistry with the cast. The best chemistry being among Shaggy, Scooby, and Courage. Really did enjoy the scenes with them a lot more than I thought I would. Now, the one thing I was incredibly worried, which I think we were all worried about is would this respect the Courage series, and I do believe it did. You did get a feeling that the writers actually did like Courage the Cowardly Dog, so much so that, during a battle nearing the end of the movie Courage is the one who mainly gets the spotlight, in matter of fact you could say that he's the one who saved the day.









Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog is flawed, but yet I still liked it. It had good humor, a great voice cast, and they was a level of respecting Courage the Cowardly Dog. The animation is good on Scooby and co. but you will have to get use to it with Courage, Muriel, and Eustace. The only downside is when things got repetitive.








My final rating is Okay.









Alright, I'm all done here. Please come back on Saturday, Sept 18th for my review of the newest Clint Eastwood movie, Cry Macho. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment