Thursday, May 26, 2022

A Look Back at Top Gun (1986)

 


Since Top Gun: Maverick is arriving tomorrow, that means it's time to look back at the film that started it all.





Top Gun is a 1986 action drama film, and was inspired by the California magazine article titled "Top Guns". The movie was produced by Don Simpsons/Jerry Bruckheimer Films and distributed by Paramount Pictures. Top Gun was written by Jim Cash and Jack Epps Jr. and directed by Tony Scott.





The story is a Naval Aviator Lieutenant Pete "Maverick" Mitchell and Radar Intercept Officer Nick "Goose" Bradshaw have been sent to the Naval Fighter Weapons School known as TOPGUN. When they arrive Maverick learns he truly is going up against the best of the best. Now Maverick must not only have to prove himself, but he'll also have to learn to get along with these people, especially when a flock of predatory enemies are arriving.








  • Negatives

There's nothing to say, let's move on.








  • Mix

If there's anything I should put in this section, it's the romance between Maverick and Charlotte. It's pretty cheesy all things considered. Which some could see as more of a bad thing, but not me. If anything it kind of adds to the movie's charm, even though I wasn't fully on board.








  • Positives

Now for the more positive aspects with one of those being the cinematography. This movie is without a doubt gorgeous. One of my favorite shots is whenever it's sunset, Maverick riding his motorcycle, and you see beautiful palm trees in the background.



What I also enjoy from Top Gun was the pacing. This film just goes by really quick, but not a the cost of the action, characters, and etc. I mean it, a hour and fifty minutes just flew by, and didn't realize that until it was over.



Then we have the music. And while the main theme [Top Gun Anthem] does deserve it's own praise and rightfully so, we all know the real theme is Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins. That song in and of itself has pretty much taken a life of its own. In matter of fact, I think I heard that song way before I even saw the movie.



One thing I was surprised by when I watched this was how character driven. Cause before I saw the movie, I was more aware of it's parodies. So I was expecting nothing but action, aviator sunglasses, and such. And sure I still got that, but I also got to know these characters. We get to know their personalities, their wants, what they joined TOPGUN, or Maverick's case trying to prove he truly belongs. It was quite honestly a welcoming surprise.



The last thing I'll give Top Gun credit for is of course the jets. Tony Scott gave us such amazing scenes. The jet's flying look gorgeous, and when we get to the dog fights they're even better. Even simply seeing the things start up look awesome. And to this day those scenes still hold up.








Top Gun is truly awesome! The cinematography is spectacular, the pacing is perfect, the music is great, it's a lot more character driven than I thought, and all of the jets whether it'd be flying or fighting lives up to the hype. Sure the romance is cheesy, but I feel like you should let that slide a bit.








My final rating is Great.








So that's going to do it for me. Due come back on Saturday, May 28th for my review of Top Gun: Maverick. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day, and do watch this movie before seeing the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment