Thursday, May 5, 2022

Constantine: The House of Mystery Review

 


Constantine: The House of Mystery is an animated short film based on the DC Comics' character John Constantine. The movie is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment and distributed by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. Constantine: The House of Mystery is written by Ernie Altbacker and directed by Matt Peters.





The story is John Constantine awakens in the House of Mystery with no memory of how he got there, and why his friends are not only demons, but are out to kill him. He soon finds out it's a punishment for what he during the Apokolips War. Now John must find a way of out this mess or be trapped in the house and be killed over and over again.








Initial Reaction

The reason why I wanted to see this even though I typically ignore the DC Showcase shorts, was because it would've told use something, or given us a glimpse of what happened after Justice League Dark: Apokolips War. So this was a case of curiosity.







Cons

The biggest downside and it's the one thing I was worried about, and it's the fact that the film raised more questions than answers. Cause by the end of the story, something big happens and it's not a satisfying ending. I don't give away spoilers, so the only thing I can say is there's been speculation, or I should say hope for an animated Crisis on Infinite Earths movie. I'd like to remind you, that's just fans hoping for something, there's not even a rumor going around about that. But it would offer some sort of closure to the DC Animated Movie Universe.








Middle Ground

Now I didn't mind the artstyle too much in this. A lot of characters in this look good. The slight issue is with Constantine's design. It does take awhile to get use to this look when compared to how the character looked in the previous films.








Pros

One of the two positives about Constantine: The House of Mystery is Matt Ryan. Once again he proves he's the absolutely best when it comes to playing Constantine. And I hope whether it be for animated movies, cartoons, or live-action he continues cause he is so good at. I also want to give credit to the twist. Like I said no spoilers are allowed here, but what I will say is the twist really showed that Constantine really is he's own worst enemy.








Overall Constantine: The House of Mystery is decent. Matt Ryan does another great job and the twist is very well done. The artstyle is well done with other characters, but it does take time with Constantine. The biggest issue and it's really what brought the film down is the fact we're left with more questions than answers.








My final rating is Okay.








So, that's all for me. Come back on Saturday, May 7th for my review of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment