Monday, September 26, 2022

A Look Back at Hocus Pocus (1993)

 


Originally I was gonna review this movie much closer to the release date of the upcoming sequel, but Netflix's Blonde had to make me change some dates around. Either way, hope you like it.





Hocus Pocus is a 1993 fantasy comedy horror film. It was produced by Walt Disney Pictures and distributed by Buena Vista Pictures. Hocus Pocus was written by David Kirschner, Mick Garris, and Neil Cuthbert and directed by Kenny Ortega.





The story is in 1693's Salem, Massachusetts three witches called the Sanderson sisters were sentence for execution, just before their deaths one of the sisters cast a curse they'll resurrect them. 300 years later, the sisters have come back to cause havoc once again. Now it'll take a whole new group of people to stop them.








  • Negatives

I've got nothing to say. So just move on to the next part.








  • Mix

The only mix feeling I've got with the film is the special effects. Now I by no means think there are a lot of times when it looks bad. I think there are scenes when it goes from acceptable to really good. I truly don't think there's not a really bad effect. It just goes from decent to really good.








  • Positives

One of the reasons why the film became so beloved was the design. I was amazed how much work was put into the Sanderson sisters' house. There are even times where I was surprised how some of the backgrounds are just paintings. You truly see how much work and passion was put into just the look alone in this film.



What also works for the most part in this is the humor. Sure, some of it didn't work for me, but for the most I had a lot of good laughs. In matter of fact, most of the time some of the humor doesn't come from the physical comedy, but the dialogue. I'm pretty sure everyone knows of the line "Oh, look. Another glorious morning. It makes me sick!"



Another really good thing about Hocus Pocus is it's pretty dark. The opening contains literally sucking a child's soul out, the witches being hung, and so forth. A matter of fact, the Sisters' whole plan is to kill kids. Sure Disney has had dark stuff like this before, no doubt about that, but when people think Disney, they don't think of the possibility of kids having their souls removed and then die.



Then we have the performances. More specially from Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy. When watching this, you can clearly tell those three were having the times of their lives playing these characters. They truly are the best thing about the entire film, whether their suppose to be comedic, scary, or a combination of both.



The last thing I've give praise to is how this actually a pretty good Halloween film for the entire family. Kids can enjoy the more wackier moments, while the adults can enjoy the more mature/darker stuff. And this also plays into the humor as well, because once again kids can enjoy the witches being goofs, while at the same time the adults can enjoy the jokes that are clearly gonna go over their kids' heads.








Overall, I really enjoy this movie. It has it's charm to it. But what really worked was the set designs, the humor, how it can get pretty dark, great performances from Midler, Parker, and Najimy, and how it's a perfect Halloween film for the family. Now sure I did slight criticize the special effects, but like I said, their not entire bad, it's just some a pretty good, while others are just better.








My final rating is Great.








So, that's my review. Come back on Thursday, Sept 29th, for my review of the newest Netflix film, Blonde. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment