Saturday, November 19, 2022

Disenchanted Review

 


Disenchanted is a musical fantasy comedy film and the sequel to 2007's Enchanted. The movie's produced by Walt Disney Pictures, Josephson Entertainment, and Right Coast Productions and distributed by Disney+. Disenchanted is written by Brigitte Hales and directed by Adam Shankman.





The story is it's been years since the events of the last movie, and Giselle, Robert, Morgan, and baby Sophia have moved from Manhattan to a new house in the suburbs of Monroeville. However things aren't going well for them. So Giselle makes a wish for everything to be a fairytale. This turns out to be a horrible idea because not only is Giselle turning wicked, but if things aren't changed back by midnight, Monroeville will be a fairytale forever.








Initial Reaction

The sole reason why I wanted to watch/review this was because I really loved Enchanted. So when I heard a sequel was coming out, I was interested. Although I was also a bit concerned, because the original writer and director didn't return for this. So I was thinking this could end badly, but was still hopeful we'd get something good.








Cons

Nothing here folks. So move on.








Middle Ground

One slight issue that I did have much like the first film is the CGI. Still good in some areas, while others could've used more work. The ultimate gray are though comes from the story. Now overall, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't by any stretch a bad story. It's pretty good. Where it slightly drops is it really didn't capture the charm of the first film. Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few charming moments here and there, but when comparing it to the first, there's no doubt that Enchanted wins.








Pros

One thing that was pretty good was the humor. Again, not as good as the first, but at least I had a lot instead of only a few. What I also liked was we yet again got that 2D animation. I was really glad that also carried over from the prequel. Just like the first time around, it captures the old school look of previous Disney flicks. The last thing I'll give credit to, or this case to who is Amy Adams. While it's obvious we're only dealing with a decent film, Amy Adams' performance is worth watching the whole movie. She does a fantastic job having to play both a good Giselle and bad Giselle, or having to play both at the same time. So hats off to Amy.








While I wasn't by any means disappointed by Disenchanted, I do admit you don't really have to immediately watch this. We've got good jokes, nicely 2D animation, and of Amy Adams. Where the film needed more work was not only with the CGI, but the story. Again, it's not a bad one by any means, but maybe a rewrite here and there could've made it just a bit better.








My final rating is Okay.








That's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Nov 21st, for my Classic Film Night review of Heat. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment