Thursday, December 8, 2022

The Santa Clause Review

 


The Santa Clause is a Christmas comedy film. It was produced by Walt Disney Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, and Outlaw Productions and distributed by Buena Vista Pictures Distribution. The Santa Clause was written by Leo Benvenuti and Steve Rudnick and directed by John Pasquin.





The story is on Christmas Eve, a divorced father named Scott accidentally kills a man dressed in a Santa Claus suit. Soon both him and his son are transported to is be claimed as the North Pole. At first Scott thinks it was all just a dream. However, over the next couple of months Scott starts to look a lot like Santa. Now realizing it all wasn't a dream, Scott now has a lot of work do to for the next Christmas season.








  • Negatives

I've got nothing to see here folks. Just move along.








  • Mix

I'll get this out of the way right now, yes, yes the story is kind of predictable, and yes, it does use the trope of the grown ups not believe in Santa, only for the kid or kids to prove he is actually real. The thing is you can have a predictable story, as long as you have other aspects to keep people entertained, or interested. And I feel as though this story does just that. We're provide with a new mythos to Santa Claus, it was entertaining to see Scott go from regular businessman to Santa, and there's a lot of times when the film can be entertaining, or downright charming. So I feel as though it's those more positive qualities that I mentioned previously, that really helps the overall movie.








  • Positives

One thing that can't be denied about The Santa Clause is Tim Allen himself. He provided a great comedic performance, and what made it work was something the late, great Gene Siskel himself said regrading Tim's performance, and something I think many can agree on. He said "He's willing to have fun at his own expense, and a few people find that enjoyable to be with him, in on the joke a little bit. He doesn't try to be totally in control all of the time".



What also worked for the film was the special effects and sets. I'm still amazed how even now the special effects in this film still hold up. But what I really dug as a kid, and even now as an adult, is the set of the North Pole. It's creative, bright, colorful, and just looks like a fun place to at, even though it's clearly a workshop. And if anything it's kinda what I always pictured what the North Pole would look like as a kid.



The last thing I'll write about is the humor. I've heard quite a few people here and there, saying the film just wasn't funny enough. Humor is subjective, but I do believe some people missed the point. The movie is funny in that it wasn't trying so desperately to be funny. It was being subtle. Which is why those later films, especially the third one just didn't work as well. This film relied more upon visuals and dialogue, then slapstick, and other basic forms of comedy.








Personally, I really like The Santa Clause. Hell, I watch anything chance I get whether it's on AMC or Freeform. It's got a performance from Tim Allen, good sets and special effects, and good humor. Yes, the story is flawed, but I believe it makes up for that in both an interesting take on the legend of Santa, and being very charming.






My final rating is Good.








So, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Saturday, Dec 10th, for my review of...well I'm not quite sure yet. It could either be Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio or The Mean One. I guess what's ever available for me. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment