Saturday, February 25, 2023

Cocaine Bear Review

 


Cocaine Bear is a black comedy horror film, inspired by the true Cocaine Bear named Pablo Eskobear. The film's produced by Lord Miller Productions, Brownstone Productions, and Jurassic Party Productions and distributed by Universal Pictures. Cocaine Bear is written by Jimmy Warden and directed by Elizabeth Banks.





The story is a duffel bag full of cocaine has landed in a small town Georgia forest. This duffel bag of coke is soon eaten by a massive black bear, and at first it seems like it just up and died...only to get back up and go on a coke-fueled rampage eating and tearing apart anything in it's path. Now both the locals and out of towners must join forces to survive, otherwise they're totally screwed.








Initial Reaction

People...look at the title...watch the trailer...tell me, tell me why, I shouldn't have had a good reason for wanting to see this?








Cons

I don't have anything negative to say, just move on.








Middle Ground

One of two gray areas with the movie is the CGI. Now overall it's not too bad. But there were a lot of times when the bear did look better in one, where in another it looked okay. Then we have the characters. None of them are bad. They do have motivates and own personalities, but in all honesty they're not fully developed. Although at the same time you're not gonna be sitting in your seat just begging for the bear to devour them. If anything these are very serviceable characters.








Pros

This was my first time seeing a film directed by Elizabeth Banks. And I think she did pretty good. Won't be setting the world on fire, but it's clear that the person behind the camera knew what they were doing, and despite a relatively low budget, the movie didn't look cheap. Now everyone, myself included, we're happy to know this was going to be a dark comedy. But how was the comedy? While somethings didn't work, nine times out of ten, I found myself laughing and having a great time with this. Whether the humor was dark or not, there was still plenty of laughs to be had. Then there's the thing we've all came to see, and that's the bear rampage. It's awesome folks. Nice rated R bloody mayhem, that both me and the small audience I saw it just couldn't get enough of. That bears massacre was the best part.








Overall, while not perfect, Cocaine Bear was still exactly what I thought and wanted it to be. I had a good time with this, and I'll most likely be getting this on Blu-Ray.








My final rating is, Good.








If they ever make a sequel to this I suggest different drug, different animal. Maybe, Meth Shark, or Heroin Wolf? Anyhow, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Feb 27th, for part one of Looking Back at the Films of 2022. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment