Thursday, April 20, 2023

Quasi Review

 


Quasi is a satirical comedy movie based on Victor Hugo's 1831 novel, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. It's produced by Searchlight Pictures and Broken Lizard and distributed by Hulu. Quasi is written by Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Jay Chandrasekhar, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske and directed by Kevin Heffernan.





The story is Quasimodo is a hapless hunchback yearning for love. This all changes when he suddenly finds himself stuck in the middle of a murderous feud between the Pope and the King of France, both of whom have ordered Quasimodo to kill the other.








Initial Reaction

The main reason why I wanted to see this was because of Broken Lizard. While I'm not their biggest fan even I got to admit they have made some pretty entertaining stuff. The big three being Super Troopers, Club Dread, and Beerfest. So when I heard they had a new movie coming to Hulu, I wanted to check it out.







Cons

Now while I still found enjoyment from this, the biggest issue is the movie would've probably got a big bump in quality, if there was more group work involved. Cause while Broken Lizard did pretty okay on their own, the scenes where they're altogether were really some of the better ones.








Middle Ground

For the most part, I really enjoyed the movie's humor. While there's definitely some stuff that just didn't work, for me I lot more good laughs than just sitting on my couch dead silent. My favorite bit was regarding a guard shooting his crossbow for a warning shot, and not going well. Another issue was the balance of the story. Yes, it makes sense that the primary focus was on Quasimodo, he is the title character. But they injected other storylines in this that just didn't get enough attention as some of them should've, or maybe could've been cut out.








Pros

Now even though I said earlier in the review that Broken Lizard is mainly separated for a majority of the movie, I also did mention that when they are together it's pretty good. Which is why even though it's in small doses, they still deserve the credit for when their chemistry does shine through in the scenes that they're in.








While I still liked the movie for what it is, this isn't one of those must see right now. Even if you're a Broken Lizard fan. Still pretty entertaining none the less, but one you can watch at whatever time you feel like.








My final rating is, Okay.









So that's all for me. I'm hoping on Saturday, Apr 22nd, I'll have a review for Guy Ritchie's The Covenant. If not, then come back on Monday, Apr 24, for my review of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment