Monday, June 19, 2023

Extraction 2 Review

 


Extraction 2 (titled on-screen as Extraction II) is an action thriller movie, and the sequel to the 2020 film. It's produced by AGBO and distributed by Netflix. Extraction 2 is written by Joe Russo and directed by Sam Hargrave.





The story is after just barely surviving his last mission, Tyler Rake has decided to retire. He quickly changes his mind when he's tasked with a job from his ex-wife. Now, Tyler and his team must infiltrate a Georgia prison, and rescue his ex-wife's sister and her two kids.








Initial Reaction

Simply put, after really enjoying the first movie, I wanted to see the sequel. And that's about it.








Cons

I've got nothing. Just move onto the next part.








Middle Ground

I've got three mix feelings for the movie, one of those is Sam Hargrave's directing. Nine times out of ten, Hargrave does a very good job directing. However, there were a couple of times when we had the dreaded shaky cam. It didn't bring down the action for me, but it can be a little irritating. The other mix was the pacing. The majority of the runtime can be very quick, but there were other instances where things felt slow. Not painfully slow, but still noticeable. The last thing stems from the characters. While Tyler, his ex-wife, her sister, and such, do get their moments, others are...fine. Not bad by any stretch, just okay.








Pros

The two best things are Chris Hemworth's performance and the action. First I'll start with Chris. When he's not having to make a fool out of himself (looking at Thor: Love and Thunder 🖕), this movie, along with others, show that he is capable of giving a good performance, when given the right material. Then there's the action. I know I mentioned shaky cam, but remember, I also said it didn't take away from the action. The action was fun, exciting, and suspenseful. I especially loved the 21 minute single shot. That whole sequence was insane, I especially liked that fire fist part. That was badass.








While Extraction 2 has its flaws, I felt like the good portions really helped just a bit. If you're looking for a fun popcorn flick. You've got Fast X, and then this. Although for me, I'd definitely pick this.








My final rating is, Good.








Alright folks, I'm done for today. Come back on Monday, Jun 26th, for part two of Looking Back at the Films of 2022. For that I'll be reviewing Elvis and The Black Phone. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment