Thursday, June 29, 2023

Road to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) Review

 


We're almost at the end folks. Right now, it's time to review the first movie of the reboot series.





Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (or sometimes called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014, to avoid confuse with the 90's film) is a comic book movie based on the TMNT comics by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird. It's the fifth theatrical movie, and the first movie in the reboot's duology. It was produced by Nickelodeon Movies, Platinum Dunes, Gama Entertainment, Mednick Productions, and Heavy Metal and distributed by Paramount Pictures. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) was written by Josh Appelbaum, André Nemec, and Evan Daughtery and directed by Jonathan Liebesman.





The story is reporter April O'Neil is investigating a crime wave by the organization who call themselves, the Foot Clan and a vigilante fighting back. She soon realizes the vigilante is actually four mutant turtles. Meanwhile, growing frustrated with their interference, the Shredder has decided to take action and kill the Turtles. Now, the Turtles must not only stop the Foot's newest plan, but also find a way to survive the Shredder's onslaught.








  • Negatives

I've got nothing. Just scroll down to the next part.








  • Mix

One mix bag came from the villains. I didn't think they were terrible, I just thought they were okay. They got the look and everything, but when it came to character, they were just fine. Although when watching every single Ninja Turtles movie up to this point, the villians never felt like a strong quality to me. So I guess maybe I shouldn't have been to surprised here.


Another mix bag was Jonathan Liebesman's directing. In 2015, the Razzies (aka the dumbest and most pointless award show ever) nominated this guy for 'Worst Director'. Which I find ridiculous. I found his directing to be fine. My only slight complaint is there are times when it felt like he as trying to direct this like the movie's producer [Michael Bay] would direct it. But when he's not doing that, he's actually not too bad.


The last thing I'll write about for this section is the story. It's a pretty standard story, but my slight complaint does come from flashbacks. Whenever a flashback happens, it kinda felt the main story had to be put on pause for a brief moment for the flashbacks.








  • Positives

Alright let's get into the good stuff about the movie, with one of those being the humor. There are times when somethings didn't work, nine times out of ten it's pretty funny. I don't think I need to tell you about how hilarious that elevator scene is.



Another thing I liked was the special effects. There was a couple a bits where they seemed off, like there was one bit where a building's needle is falling with April and the turtles are on it, and it seemed like April was put in one shot at the last minute. But that was just one instance, much like the humor, a lot of it works than doesn't work.


The last thing I'll write about is the action. The action was awesome. I loved the fight scenes, especially whenever the Shredder was involved, but that mountain scene. That was definitely the best action scene in the entire movie.








I believe this is a very overly hated movie among the TMNT flicks. No, it's not perfect by any means, but it's still enjoyable. Besides, after having watch to the disastrous third live-action movie, this felt like a breath of fresh air.








My final rating is, Okay.








Well, that's all for now. Come back on Saturday, Jul 1st, for my review of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment