Thursday, May 18, 2023

Road to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem - TMNT Review

 



TMNT is a computer-animated comic book movie based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the fourth overall installment. It's also the first animated TMNT flick. It was produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, The Weinstein Company, Imagi Animation Studios, and Mirage Studios and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. TMNT was written and directed by Kevin Munroe.





The story is after defeating the Shredder, the Turtles have grown apart and are doing their own thing. They're soon brought together when they learn of a mystical threat, where if all thirteen monsters are captured, a portal from a parallel universe will open and all of the New York will be destroyed, then soon, the rest of the world.








  • Negatives

I've got nothing for this section, just move on to the next part.








  • Mix

The mix bag is the story. Now, I didn't take issues with there being no Shredder or the villain for this movie. I mean the Turtles have fought bad guys both from and not from their comics. My slight issue was it was never explained what exactly made the Turtles split up. I think maybe it was related to the Shredder? He was mentioned in the opening narration, but again, we're never given a full explanation. It's not like the movie had to have a paragraph long dialogue to tell us, they could've just shown us. Show not tell after all.








  • Positives

One thing I liked was the humor. It's not anything groundbreaking, but it works because there wasn't any overabundance of it. And besides, after the third movie's disastrous attempts at comedy, I'll gladly enjoy this one's approach.



What also worked was the action. I forgot how good it was. Some really great fights scene, especially one scene where it was turtle vs. turtle. That one especially had good amount of emotion, drama, and yes, hard hits as well as clashing of weapons.



Funny story to tell. As a kid for some time I didn't like the cast in this. Cause my belief was the voice cast from the 2003 series would voice the characters. But as time went on and I got older, I've come to enjoy this cast. They all fit the characters perfectly. I guess one could argue that Nolan North makes Raphael sound older, but I don't think that's anything to get too bent out of shape about.



The last part I'll write about is the animation. While not the gold standard when it comes to 3D animation, it still manages to be easy on the eyes, there's even times when it can actually be gorgeous. I absolutely loved the rain effect during the turtle vs. turtle fight, that was nicely done and probably the best moment when it came to the animation.








TMNT isn't perfect, but after watching this and looking back at the third movie, I have come to appreciate more than ever. And even if I didn't do a comparison, I would still enjoy it.








My final rating is, Good.








So that's all for now. On Saturday, May 20th, there might be a review for Fast X. I say 'might' cause there could be a chance I'll to push that review back, because I'm helping my dad with his plumping. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment