Sunday, May 21, 2023

Fast X Review

 
NOTE: THERE'S GONNA BE A RANT AT THE END OF THIS. SO IF YOU'RE CURIOUS, READ THAT. IF NOT, YOU'RE MORE THAN WELCOME TO SKIP.





Fast X (aka Fast & Furious 10) is an action movie as well as the sequel to F9, and being the tenth installment of the main Fast & Furious series. It's produced by Universal Pictures, Original Film, One Race Films, Roth/Kirschenbaum Films, and Perfect Storm Entertainment and distributed by Universal Pictures. Fast X is written by Justin Lin, Dan Mazeau, and Zach Dean and directed by Louis Leterrier.





The story is Dom and his crew have always found a way to outsmart and outdrive every foe from every mission they've been on. However, when the son of an old enemy from the past emerges, Dom must do everything he can to protect his friends and families from a man hellbent on revenge.








Initial Reaction


Having found a huge amount of enjoyment from this franchise, it was only natural that I'd be looking forward to this one. I'm always well aware I'm not gonna get something in the vein of Citizen Kane, but what I do know is to expect something from ridiculous to crazy to somehow something in between those.








Cons

I've got nothing. Just move on.








Middle Ground

One decent thing about the movie was Louis Leterrier's directing. Now don't get me wrong but, he still brought a nice look and style. Cause if you're gonna do a Fast & Furious movie, ya gonna give it some flash. However, there were times when he just didn't need to be flashy. Like there were some drone shots that just didn't feel necessary. It wasn't a crazy amount like when the Russo bros. did it for The Gray Man, but still. Then we have the pacing. I'll say for 98% of the time the pacing is a perfect fast one. But there was a time, and maybe it was just me, but there was a time when things were slow when it shouldn't have. Fast X if I'm remembering this correctly has four major storylines, and think you're only gonna remember three of them. Cause I'll admit, unless the movie cut back to it, I kinda forgot that Letty had her own story going on. Then we have the ending. Basically it's a cliffhanger, and I mean that by the very definition, the movie ends on a cliffhanger. It's actually understandable why they went that direction. Cause this finale is gonna be split into multiple parts, so it does make sense as to why somethings didn't get wrapped up and was left unresolved. But at the same time, the story (or stories in this case) don't end, as much as they're put on the pause. Which really sucks, because we're not getting Fast and Furious 11, until 2025.








Pros

Now let's quickly get this out of the way, yes. Yes the action can get ridiculous, but 1) that's what makes me these movies so much fun. 2) what did everybody expect? This franchise hasn't obeyed to the laws of physics for the longest time. The last thing I'll write about is the performances. Sure our usual cast does a fantastic job, but Jason Momoa truly did steal the show. The audience I saw this with laughed at his more comedic moments, and were always enjoying his villainous moments. And he's clearly having the time of his life in this role, which made it all the more enjoyable watching him on screen.









Fast X isn't perfect by any stretch, however, despite the slight flaws I still had a wonderful time with this. Again, not perfect by any means, but if you're looking for a good popcorn flick, here ya go.








My final rating is, Okay.








The Rant

Okay folks, here's the rant. Now, this rant isn't about this specific movie, or the franchise itself. It's about the critics and a lot of the audience and their reactions to the movie and/or franchise.

Now, if they have any legitimate complaints or criticisms, that would be fine. Because then they're actually having a discussion. But whenever I see people complain about the action, I roll my eyes and ignore whatever else they have to say afterwards.

The reason isn't because I'm a bias fanboy, I also have some issues with this franchise, even though I like it. The reason, the main reason why I'm rolling my eyes and scoffing, is because for the longest time, probably a decade maybe even close to a decade, this franchise has thrown out following the laws of physics. I know it, fans know it, and people who aren't even fans know it. So why is that critics and the other half of the audience don't know this? It's especially annoying because there's a lot of action movies, both new and old, that also don't have a good understanding of psychics, and yet they get praised.

So yeah, there's my rant. People who somehow still expect realistic action in the Fast and Furious movies.








That's all for now. Come back on Thursday, May 25th, for my Look Back at review of the 1989 classic version of, The Little Mermaid. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment