Thursday, May 11, 2023

Underrated Films - What About Bob?

 


What About Bob? is a black comedy movie. It was produced by Touchstone Pictures and Touchwood Pacific Partners and distributed by Buena Vista Pictures Distribution. What About Bob? was written by Tom Schulman, Alvin Sargent, and Laura Ziskin and directed by Frank Oz.





The story is Bob suffers from multiple phobias which makes seek constant reassurance from his therapist. Feeling exhausted, his current therapist assigns him to egotistical Dr. Leo Marvin. Having a successful initial session, Bob follows Leo to his family vacation. While his family befriends Bob, Leo on the other hand feel like he's gonna be pushed over the edge.








Why It's Underrated?

Be honest with me, has anybody ever heard of this movie before you read this review? If you said no, then I don't blame you. I didn't know of this movie's existence until I watched a video from FanboyFlicks when he was reviewing Clifford. And after watching this, I got to wonder why this doesn't get more attention? It's criminal how this just goes under everybody's radar.








My Thoughts


Now, even though I really did like this movie, there is one bad and one decent thing about it. The bad one is the score. It's pretty forgettable, and whenever I do remember it, a lot of the music just seems to have an adorable vibe to it. Not really the best given this kind of flick.



The decent thing is the other characters. While I didn't hate any of them, there really wasn't much outside of their standard roles. If it wasn't for them adding to the comedy they easily could've been the second worst thing about the movie.



Alright, now that I got the bad or decent stuff out of the way, let me tell you about the great, one of those being Bob and Leo's character development. While we see Bob change for the better, and in way that doesn't beat the audience over the head, we also see how Leo changes. And oh boy, it's kind of hilarious to see just how much this guy loses it.



What the movie also has going for it is Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss' performances. Their chemistry really carried the whole movie but, even when they're not on-screen together they're still entertaining. It's no surprise that Murray does his usual job of being good with comedy, but so does Dreyfuss. Typically he's known for more serious roles, so seeing him do a comedy one was not only surprising, but he did great.



The last thing I'll praise is the humor. I won't go into too much detail because it'll spoil the movie, but this was very much a funny movie. I almost felt like I was watching a real life cartoon. Even though I said I wasn't gonna give away spoilers, I will end this review with an out of context clip.










While I did mention the issues, I think the good, for the most part out weights the bad. That's why my final rating is, Good.








That's all for now. Come back on Saturday, May 13th, for my review of the final season of DC's Titans. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment