Saturday, January 13, 2024

The Beekeeper Review

 


The Beekeeper is an action thriller movie, that's produced by Miramax, Cedar Park Studios, and Punch Palace Productions and distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The Beekeeper is written by Kurt Wimmer and directed by David Ayer.





The story is, Adam Clay was a operative working for an organization called "Beekeepers". Tragedy enters his life when his friend/neighbor kills herself after falling for a phishing scam. Now, Adam is on the warpath to get revenge on those who are responsible.








Initial Reaction

The reason why I wanted to see this was because of David Ayer. Sure Jason Statham was also a good selling point, but I like a lot of David Ayer's films. And I also figured it'd be a good way to support Ayer since he still has no idea if his cut of Suicide Squad is ever gonna get released.








Cons

I've got nothing.








Middle Ground

Now let's get this out of the way. Yes, the story is standard. We've seen the story of someone getting revenge because someone close to them was either hurt or killed. We've seen that with Death Wish, Death Sentence, Kill Bill, The Northman, The Revenant, The Equalizer, Upgrade, etc. But, I think, if you can at least make an entertaining movie, then you still succeed, and The Beekeeper is a fun ride. With that aside the other mix bag is the whole concept of the Beekeepers. Now, I do love the whole using bees as a juxtaposition. However, I would love to see just how big this organization is. How deep does it go, and just how many people are aware of them?








Pros

One great aspect of The Beekeeper is Jason Statham himself. The guy's really in his element here. He's really get at playing characters who are all business. The other thing the movie's got going for it is the humor. Don't worry it's not something eye rolling. The humor works perfectly with this because it's both dark and dry. The last thing I'll touch upon is the action. There's no doubt David Ayer can direct action scenes, and he did a really good job with here. I got excited whenever Statham was just going around and kicking someone's ass.








The Beekeeper isn't perfect, but I had a lot of fun with this one. I even had a smile on my face when it was all over.








My final rating is, Good.








First Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths - Part One, now this. Two good movies in a row. Hopefully we keep this train going. But for now, that'll be all. Come back on Monday, Jan 15th, where I'll begin the Road to Kung Fu Panda 4, with my review of Kung Fu Panda. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment