Monday, February 26, 2024

Looking Back at the Films of 2023 Part Two - Sharper

 


Alright, we're back with the films of 2023. Let's get to it.









Why Didn't I See Sharper?

I wanted to see this but, when I was making all the arrangements, I found out I got the dates mixed up. I thought Feb 10th was it's release date on Apple TV+, turns out that was it's select theaters date. Then I thought the Feb 17th date would work, but nope. I decided to review Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and just had no choice but to cancel a review for this.





What is Sharper?

Sharper is a crime thriller movie. It was produced by Apple Studios, Picturestart, FortySixty, and G&T Productions and distributed by A24 and Apple TV+. Sharper was written by Brian Gatewood and Alessandro Tanaka and directed by Benjamin Caron.


The story is, a con artist plans to take on Manhattan's billionaires. This decision will soon lead to motivations becoming questionable and expectations turning into chaos.





My Thoughts


The Good: One thing I liked was how the movie looked. I'll admit that I'm fully unaware of Benjamin Caron's work, but from what I've seen from this movie, he's pretty good. Nice cinematography, good camera work, etc. Then there's the performances. You'll read soon enough how I felt about the characters, but anyways, even if the cast didn't have good characters, I can say I hated their performances, sure Justice Smith can be a little dull at times, but hey A for effort on his part.





The Bad: If there was one thing that didn't work it was the characters. They're really shallow. They just don't have anything that makes you care about them throughout the movie.





The Okay: The mix bag was the story. Now, it gives you plenty of twist and turns. So I think there'll be some fun to have as you guess what'll happen next. So there is something interesting. However, I never got the feeling of true danger or grit. Sure things might escalate here and there, but not to the point where you'll feel true fear.





Final Verdict: Okay.









That's all for now. Come back on Saturday, Mar 2nd for my review of Dune: Part Two. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment