We're almost at the end of this road folks. So, what does this story have in store for Doctor Doom this time?
Fantastic Four: Unthinkable is a 2003 storyline published by Marvel Comics and can be found in issues #67-70 and #500. Mark Waid wrote the story with Mike Wieringo providing the art for all five issues.
The story is, Doctor Doom is sacrificed the last thing he holds dear so he can gain dark magical and he has his sights set on his old enemies, the Fantastic Four. Now the Four must face a Victor Doom who's not holding back. Can they survive this encounter or will they finally fall?
- Negatives
I've got nothing.
- Mix
It comes down to some story beats. Firstly the good stuff, starting with Doctor Doom. Holy sweet mother of God! I've reviewed seven Doctor Doom centered stories before and he's never been as vicious in either of those stories as much as he is here. This time around Doom wasn't holding back. He not only targeted the usual members of the Fantastic Four but also Richard & Sue's kids Franklin and Valeria. Yeah, this time around the kid gloves were off with Doom. But the other good aspect of the story is Reed Richards. Reed is a science guy through and through, but with Unthinkable he has to confront magic and nothing but magic. So Reed's not only dealing with a conflict with a much more vicious Doctor Doom, but also has to confront and find a way to use magic himself. Which isn't easy because he has to surrender control. Not with all that out of the way there is one slight problem. The story is very Doom vs. Reed heavy. Makes sense considering their rivals, but I really think Waid missed an opportunity to have Sue get more involved. Sure she had her moments, but seeing her be just as if not more so going head to head with Doom could've been cool. After all Franklin and Valeria are her kids too.
- Positives
I'll start off with the pacing. Despite being five issues this was a praise to get through. I started reading this early in the morning and by the time I was done it was still breakfast time.
My last praise will go to Mike Wieringo's art. First let me give an awesome panel from his artwork.
It may not Doom's most iconic panel but it's still pretty good. Anyways, Wieringo was such an underrated artists. He had great dynamic and expressive style that had an energy to it. Not to mention but while he's action scenes were great, Wieringo was very capable of showing more quieter moments. Because of this great skill it makes it all the more sadder he's no longer with us.
Despite some flaws, I still loved this story. Especially for a much more vicious Doctor Doom and the art by Wieringo.
My final rating is, Great.
That's all for me. Come back on Monday, Aug 24th, where I'll begin the Road to Ice Age: Boiling Point. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.


No comments:
Post a Comment