Hey guys, and welcome to another edition of Classic Film Night. And as you get see by the title this time around I'm reviewing one of the best time travel movies.
Back to the Future is a sci-fi film that was produced by Amblin Entertainment and distributed by Universal Pictures. Robert Zemeckis not only directed the movie but also wrote the story with Bob Gale.
The story is, it's 1985 and high school student Marty McFly meets up with his eccentric friend Emmett "Doc" Brown where he shows Marty his newest invention, a time machine built from a modified DeLorean. During this meet up the duo are attacked by terrorist and Marty escapes the attack by jumping into the DeLorean and next thing he knows he's in 1955. Now Marty along with 1955 Doc must find a way to get power back to the DeLorean and get Marty back home to 1985.
My Thoughts
Oh boy...where do I even begin with this? There's just so many great things about Back to the Future. Let's start with Alan Silvestri's music. Whenever I so much as just think about Back to the Future the theme is instantly in my head. I mean it folks. The Back to The Future theme is one of those bits of music that gets stuck in your head just like the Jaws theme, the Jurassic Park theme, and the Indiana Jones theme. It's that much of an earworm.
There's also the humor. I always have such a great laugh with this movie despite seeing it I think like six times. One moment that gets a laugh out of me is Marty finds the younger verison of his dad up in a tree and he's spying on a woman undressing, and Marty has this WTF look on his face and says "He's a peeping Tom!". I personally would've been more horrified but Marty still had the right reaction 😆. And of course you got this classic Johnny B. Goode scene where Marty got a little too into the moment.
I also want to praise the special effects. Now admittedly there are a few moments where they don't look the best. Like this moment,
You can tell by this shot some blue screen was used, but that's like one scene I can think of on the top of my head. All of the other special effects hold up surprisingly well. Like when the DeLorean has lighting all over it when it's about to jump into another time, that's one of those effects that still hold up even when we now have stuff like CGI.
Then we have the performances from Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd. What can I say about these two and their acting for Marty and Doc that hasn't already been said? Fox has great comic timing and can perfectly balance Marty's charisma and his little bit of a dorky streak. And Lloyd just kills it with Doc Brown. I know Christopher Lloyd has done other roles such as Prof. Plum in Clue and Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, but I will forever love him as Doc Brown. Doc has pure manic energy but also tons of heart and Lloyd brings both of those out perfectly.
The last thing I'll praise is the storytelling. One bit of great writing is how the story sets up many elements early that are actually used later to great effect. One of those elements is the frequently talked about clock tower that plays a part in the time traveling. Speaking of the time traveling can I just say how much I appreciated this movie for keeping it simple. Now don't get the wrong idea, I don't mind if a time travel movie does something different one example being Tenet, but sometimes you just gotta keep it simple. So the time travel doesn't bog down the story but serves it. Not to mention but this story has the perfect balance of suspense and comedy.
So that's Back to the Future and if you haven't seen it then what is wrong with you? Stop reading this review and get to watching.
My final rating is, A Must Watch!
That's all for now. Due come back on Saturday, Aug 15th, for my review of The End of Oak Street. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.


No comments:
Post a Comment