Monday, June 19, 2017

Road to Spider-Man: Homecoming - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Review


Note: This review contains spoilers. You have been warned.




The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a 2014 superhero film and the sequel to 2012's The Amazing Spider-Man. It was also the final installment to The Amazing Spider-Man franchise. It's produced by Marvel Entertainment, Arad Productions Inc., and Matt Tolmach Productions and distributed by Columbia Pictures. The movie was written by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, and Jeff Pinkner and directed by Marc Webb.


The story is a new villain has emerged named Electro and he plans to kill Spider-Man. While Peter is trying to stop Electro he is still trying to figure out the mystery behind his parent's disappearance.




  • Negatives

One thing I don't like about the movie is Green Goblin's design. The armor & glider are fine but it's the makeup on his face that ruins it. He has rotted teeth, crazy hair, and some green stuff on his face. I get they wanted a goblin look but it just doesn't work.



I really didn't like that Electro became Harry's henchmen. I was enjoying that it was Spider-Man vs. Electro. The filmmakers really didn't need to make this another Spider-Man and Green Goblin movie.



The film's biggest problem is storywise it's bloated. There was way too much put into the script. First we deal with the mystery around Peter's parents, then we cut to a storyline involving Harry and that he's dying and Spider-Man's blood could save him, then the film ask where is Peter & Gwen's relationship going? A lot of this should have been cut out and saved for a third movie.




  • Mix
Nothing to say. Moving on.





  • Positives

One thing I absolutely loved was Spider-Man's costume. That is the most accurate Spidey suit I've ever seen come out of any of the Spider-Man movies. It looks like it was pulled right from the comics.



Another big highlight to this film is Andrew Garfield & Emma Stone's chemistry. They do so well together that I don't think it can be topped.



Even though Electro was later down played to be Harry's sidekick I still enjoyed seeing him on screen. I also liked that they made him mentally insane and thinking him & Spider-Man are friends even though their not. It add a nice touch to his character.



Once again the movie kept me interested in the disappearance of Peter's Mom & Dad. I'm so grateful they countined that story arc.



The movie has some very funny moments. My favorite was the opening heist chase. Everything that happened in that scene was pure Spider-Man.



The best dramatic moment was the Death of Gwen Stacey. I was sad to see her go because I really enjoyed her character & Emma Stone's portrayal of her.



Another thing to enjoy from this film is Andrew Garfield's performance. He just nails it playing Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Too bad this was the last time we got to see that.



My final positive to give this movie is the action. Marc Webb did a good job giving us action scenes worth watching. I especially loved the web swinging.




The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has three big problems story elements that should have been saved for a third movie, making Electro the main villain only to get he's spotlight stolen from Green Goblin, and the design to Green Goblin. The good things are the design to the Spider-Man suit, the chemistry between Garfield & Stone, making an underrated villain like Electro get some of the attention, continuing the mystery of Peter's parents, funny moments, Gwen Stacey's death, and Andrew Garfield's performance, and the action.




When rating this film I find myself in a situation similar to Spider-Man 3. If I hate it then I'm a Raimi - fanboy but If I like it then I'm a fanboy to the movie. I'm going to stick with my overall opinion which is my final rating for this movie is Okay.



So that concludes all Spider-Man reviews. Don't worry I have something planned before Spider-Man: Homecoming is released. Just look at the slightly updated schedule down below.




State of the Project (Jun 12th - Jul 10th)


Jun 12th - Road to Justice League - Justice League: War Review


Jun 15th - Differences Between Jurassic Park (movie) & Jurassic Park (novel)


Jun 19th - Road to Spider-Man: Homecoming - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Review


Jun 22nd - 30th - Taking a Break


Jul 3rd - Cinematic Disasters - Reefer Madness


Jul 6th - Raiders of the Lost Media - Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro (Pre - 9/11)


Jul 8th - Spider-Man: Homecoming Review


Jul 10th - Spider-Man: Homecoming Easter Eggs



NOTE: IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL TELL YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment