Saturday, June 10, 2017

The Mummy Review







The Mummy is action - adventure horror film and a reboot to The Mummy franchise as well as the first installment to the Dark Universe film series. It's produced by Perfect World Pictures, Secret Hideout, Conspiracy Factory, and Sean Daniel Company and distributed by Universal Pictures. The movie was written by David Koepp, Christopher McQuarrie, and Dylan Kussman and directed by Alex Kurtzman.


The story is Nick Morton has unleashed an ancient Egyptian princess named Ahmanet. She goes on a rampage beyond human comprehension and now Nick must stop her before it's too late.


  • Negatives

I hated the comedic sidekick they gave Tom Cruise's character. The first action scene/moment we're suppose to find him funny all he does is scream and yell. A comedic sidekick can work but here it doesn't. They should've written him out of the movie.




  • Mix

Russell Crowe has a monologue in this movie and while I don't hate it I just couldn't get invested in it. I understand it's to give us Ahnmanet's origin story but it felt like we didn't need someone narrating the story when it could have been shown. I said it before and I'll say it again I don't hate it but at the same time I don't like it.



The horror parts of this film are okay but sometimes you will get clichés. Such as jump scares. One thing I thought was creepy was how The Mummy would make someone her undead slave.




  • Positives

I liked the design to The Mummy. While it is just her having grey skin and wearing rags they did do something creative. Her pupils split in two & she's covered in Egyptian writing. I thought that was a good creative choice.


I one hundred percent loved the action in this. Each one of those scenes got me excited and it left me wanting more. Two of my favorite scenes are the plane crash and the chase threw the woods.


Tom Cruise, Sofia Boutella, and Russell Crowe's performances are one of the highlights in this film. I especially loved seeing Nick & Russell's character interact with each other. I'm not telling you who Russell Crowe is playing cause it's a spoiler. All I'm going to say is he is one of the classic horror villains.


To my surprise the movie has a good sense of humor. The one person your going to get the most laughs from is Tom Cruise. He had great comedic timing.




The Mummy's problem is that annoying sidekick. It has a good monologue even though it felt unnecessary and while some horror bits are decent some are just outdated. The movie's best aspects are the design to The Mummy, the action scenes, the performances by Cruise, Boutella, and Crowe, and some funny moments that came from Tom Cruise.



My final rating for this movie is Okay



This may not have been the big grand movie Universal was hoping for with their cinematic universe but I think it's a nice step in the right direction. All they need to do is listen to some of the complaints people had and they could have something special.




State of the Project (Jun 1st - Jul 3rd)


Jun 1st - What You Probably Didn't Know About Fight Club (1999)


Jun 3rd - Wonder Woman (2017) Review


Jun 5th - Wonder Woman (2017) Easter Eggs


Jun 8th - Raiders of the Lost Media - Cartoon Network: Backlot Party


Jun 10th - The Mummy (2017) Review


Jun 12th - Road to Justice League - Justice League: War Review


Jun 15th - Differences Between Jurassic Park (movie) & Jurassic Park (novel)


Jun 19th - Road to Spider-Man: Homecoming - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Review


Jun 22nd - Jun 30th - Taking a Break


Jul 3rd - Cinematic Disasters - Reefer Madness


NOTE: IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL TELL YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment