Thursday, December 20, 2018

Mary Poppins Returns Review




Mary Poppins Returns is musical fantasy film and the sequel to the 1964 classic Mary Poppins. The movie is produced by Walt Disney Pictures, Lucamar Productions, and Marc Platt Productions and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Mary Poppins Returns is written by David Magee and directed by Rob Marshall.



The story is in the 1930s in London. Michael and Jane who are now grown up but Michael has sadly suffered a personal loss. One day after many years Mary Poppins has come back into their lives. Joined by Mary's friend and an eccentric cousin Mary is hoping to bring joy back into Michael and Jane's lives.





Initial Reaction



I'm going to be completely honest. I wasn't really looking forward to this movie mainly because I don't think anybody wanted a sequel to Mary Poppins. I didn't watch any trailers nor did I follow them on Twitter like I do with most movies I'm looking forward to. But instead of not going to see it for myself I decided to give the movie a chance.




Cons



I've got nothing to say. So let's move on.





Middle Ground



I've got nothing to say. So let's move on.





Pros



One thing to enjoy from the film is from the very beginning you get a sense of nostalgia. Rob Marshall really wanted you to feel like you're in an old school Disney film even though it was made in 2018. The other part of Mary Poppins Returns to love is the music. The music is just as good as the first movie. My favorites are The Cover is Not a Book and Trip a Little Light Fantastic. Now a musical also needs good dance numbers. And there just wonderful. I couldn't keep my eyes off those scenes. They were just wonderful. Emily Blunt's performance as Mary Poppins is really good. She can at times be Julie Andrews but what sets her performance apart from Andrews' is Blunt's performance is she has a little bit of an edge to her. The other performance is Lin-Manuel Miranda as Jack. His character is just as charming as Dick Van Dyke's performance as Bert.







Mary Poppins Returns is a worthy continuation to the first film. There's a great sense of nostalgia, the songs are wonderful, the dance sequence are fun to watch, and Blunt and Miranda's performances are top notch.






My final rating is A Must Watch







State of The Project (Nov 22nd - Dec 22nd)



Nov 22nd - Ralph Breaks the Internet Review



Dec 3rd - Classic Film Night - A Christmas Story Review



Dec 6th - Cinematic Disasters - A Christmas Story 2



Dec 15th - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Review



Dec 17th - A Look Back at Mary Poppins (1964)



Dec 20th - Mary Poppins Returns Review



Dec 22nd - Aquaman Review






NOTE: IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL TELL YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment