Saturday, February 23, 2019

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Review


Image result for how to train your dragon the hidden world poster cinematerial


How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is a 3D animated action fantasy film and the sequel to both 2010's How To Train Your Dragon and 2014's How To Train Your Dragon 2. The movie is also the final installment to the How To Train Your Dragon film series. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is produced by DreamWorks Animation and distributed by Universal Pictures. The movie is written and directed by Dean DeBlois.



The story is Hiccup's life is better than it's ever been. Not only is he the chief of Berk but he has successful made a peaceful dragon and rider utopia. Then Hiccup and Toothless meet a another Night Fury because of this Toothless falls in love with the wild dragon. While this is happening a new threat has arrived to challenge Hiccup's reign and the villager's dragons.






Initial Reaction



Now I've liked both of the How To Train Your Dragon films so I of course was looking forward to the third movie. The trailers got me excited, so there's that. However I was skeptic because usual trilogies don't work on so well. Sure there at some exceptions like Evil Dead, Back to The Future, and the original Star Wars trilogy. But then we get those trilogies that aren't good. But I was willing to give this movie a chance.






Cons




The movie's biggest downfall is it's main villain Grimmel. He's quite the downgrade compared to Drago. He's just another dragon trapper. I really didn't get the same feel from him like I did with Drago. In matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if me or any of you hear/see other reviewers say the film could have done better without him.







Middle Ground



I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.







Pros




One thing I gotta praise the movie is the same thing I praised the last two movies for and that's it's animation. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World counties the tradition of this franchise having gorgeous animation. That scene with The Hidden World was not only eye candy but left me in awe. The other aspect of the film that is great is Toothless with the Light Fury. I was worried that the writer would have rushed their relationship but he didn't. It's built up. Dean gave time for Toothless and Light Fury to bond and actually form a relationship. The other part of the film I enjoyed is Hiccup learning to accept the changes in his life. He has to not only deal with the fact that Toothless is trying to form a life of his own but that also makes him have to think what is he without his buddy. It was a great and subtle message about accepting change. Just like the other previous films we get some humor. This is just as funny as the other movies. My personal favorites were Toothless trying to impress Light Fury and Tuffnut of all people giving Hiccup relationship advice. My final praise for the movie is it's ending. I won't give it away all I'm saying is I thought it was a great way for the movie to say goodbye.







How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is definitely a worthy end to a trilogy. It has absolutely beautiful animation, good development of Toothless' relationship with Light Fury, a nice message about accepting changes to life, lovely humor, and a satisfying ending. The only major problem I had with it was the main bad guy.





My final rating is Good






Alright guys that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, February 25th for a newest Classic Film Night. The film I'll be reviewing for that segment will be Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment