Thursday, April 2, 2020

A Look Back at Harley Quinn - Season 1


Image result for harley quinn show


With season two of Harley Quinn debuting tomorrow, I thought I should review the first season.





Harley Quinn is an adult animated web show based on the DC Comics' character Harley Quinn. The show is produced by Ehsugadee Productions, Yes, Norman Productions, DC Entertainment, and Warner Bros. Animation and distributed by DC Universe.





The story is after Harley Quinn breaks up with the Joker, she now not only wants to prove that she can be a great villain on her own but too also get in the Legion of Doom. With her friend, Poison Ivy and her crew consisting of Clayface, Doctor Psycho, King Shark, and Sy Borgman she may or may not get into the Legion.








  • Negatives


I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.




  • Mix


The grey area with Harley Quinn is the third episode. While it was still entertaining one thing that bothered me was while Harley was trying to round up a crew every other character was saying the whole reason why nobody would join her is because of her gender. Then we have Ivy talking about female villains being tolerated as long as they don't get too powerful. I kept thinking what the hell is going on here? It felt like all of this was coming out of nowhere. It's like the writers wanted a message about female empowerment but it came off as awkward. Especially since this is about a female villain with mental issues. Like who wanted to watch this show and be like "Oh boy, I can't wait for them to talk about sexism."





  • Positives



What makes Harley Quinn a great show is a surprising amount of character development and heart. I wasn't expecting so many great emotional moments. There's this one scene where Harley is crying and rolls up into a ball and you just feel that. Then there's the character development, at first it seems like the characters are going to be as advertised but there was so much to them then just say Clayface being a bad guy made of clay.



Now since this show is a comedy does that mean it's funny? Oh yeah, this is a very funny show. Even after watching every episode my favorite bit of dialogue is the Joker saying the Riddler's whole shtick is him being the world's most indirect asshole. That line really got a laugh out of me.



The other thing that makes the show really good is the performances. From Kaley Cuoco as Harley Quinn to Lake Bell as Poison Ivy to Alan Tudyk as Joker, everyone does a fantastic job with their roles.



Another thing from the show I wasn't expecting was that we get an entire DC universe. What I mean by that is while the show is set primary in Gotham City we still explore other places and characters from DC.



The final thing I'll praise Harley Quinn for is the animation. I figured it was going to be good but as good as it is, I dare say it could rival other DC animated shows that people love.








Harley Quinn (season one) is a fantastic show. It has great emotional moments/character development, great humor, a great voice cast, exploring an entire DC universe, and wonderful animation. The only mix feeling I had was with the third episode.








My final rating is Great








Alright, that's all for me. Do come back on Monday, April 6th for part three of my Looking Back at the Films of 2019. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment