Saturday, May 2, 2020

All Day and a Night Review






All Day and a Night is a drama film. The movie is produced by Color Force and Mighty Engine and distributed by Netflix. All Day and a Night is written and directed by Joe Robert Cole.





The story is a criminal named Jah has been arrested. Now he sits in prison and looks back at the day of his arrest and the circumstances of his childhood. While doing this he tries to understand his way forward in life.








Initial Reaction


Now much like Extraction, I had no previous plans to watch/review this movie but just like Extraction, I decided to give the movie a chance what with me being stuck inside during quarantine. But what also had my interest peak with this film is the synopsis. It sounded like an interesting movie so I decided to give it a watch.








Cons


Now when watching this movie from beginning to end I came to the conclusion that it really should have been trimmed down. The film is two hours and a minute long but when watching it felt longer, probably didn't help with the slight issue I had with the script which I'll get to next, but yeah probably should have been cut in some areas.







Middle Ground


So let's talk about the story for a brief moment. Overall it's good however there are a lot of times when things get repetitive. Like we'll have the same scene but it's in a different setting, which is probably one of those things that made the runtime feel longer like I previously wrote about.






Pros


Now on to the more positives aspects of All Day and a Night, Joe Robert Cole has some really good directing. He made sure the camera stays focus, he had some good shots in there, and he just did a great job. The other thing that made the movie watchable is raw and intense it is. I mean if a movie with this much profanity and violence isn't your thing then you may not like it but it was fine for me because it added more to the story. The last thing I'll give All Day and a Night credit for is the performances from Jeffrey Wright and Ashton Sanders. They are great in this movie and really they're the ones that make it worth watching.








All Day and a Night has a good director, a really intense tone, and great performances from our two main leads. The story is good but those repeated moments dragged down a bit and the runtime could have used some cutting down.








My final rating is Okay








So that's all for me and do come back on Monday, May 4th for my Cinematic Disasters review of ugh....The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment