Saturday, May 16, 2020

Scoob! Review


Scoob! (2020)


Scoob! is a direct-to-streaming 3-D animated adventure comedy based on the Scooby-Doo franchise and the first installment of the Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe. The movie is produced by Warner Animation Group and Hanna-Barbera Productions and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Scoob! is written by Matt Lieberman, Eyal Podell, and Jonathan E. Stewart and directed by Tony Cervone.





The story is since they were young Scooby and Shaggy have been best friends. Many years later and meeting fellow Coolsville kids Fred, Daphne, and Velma they go around solving mysteries together. However one day Scoob and Shag are kidnapped by none other than the Blue Falcon. Now the rest of Mystrey Inc. need to found out what is going on?







Initial Reaction


Back in April, I made a post stating how my Road to Scoob! was cancelled. Now I figured the movie wasn't going to be released this year but the next year, because that's pretty much what some of the other big films were doing because of the CoronaVirus. So you can only imagine how surprised I was to hear that the moive was going to be released on what would have been it's theatrical release date. Sure I would have preferred it going up on the big screen but it was a "I'll get what I can take situation". Either way I'm happy the movie was going to be shown.








Cons


My only real problem with the movie is they were really shoehorning the shared universe thing. I mean there's one scene with a Hanna-Barbera character that's literally there just because it's a Hanna-Barbera character.







Middle Ground


Other than Frank Welker as Scooby-Doo, you'll definitely need to take some time to get use to the new voices. And my opinion Shaggy's will be the most to get use to, but after that I did come to like the newest cast. They did a good job with the characters they were playing.







Pros


One good thing about Scoob! is the animation. It was very well done and looked pretty cool during certain shots. Another thing I liked was the humor. I laughed quite a lot during the movie, now sure there was somethings that didn't work but my experience when I watched the movie I liked a good portion of the jokes. One thing I wasn't expecting from Scoob! was how it's very emotionally. Mainly with Shaggy and Scooby's friendship and with Blue Falcon having to continue a family legacy. So yeah, while I don't think those moments will be tear jerkers I think they hit the mark for making you feel something. The last thing I want to credit the movie for is it definitely wasn't an average Scooby-Doo mystery flick. Because the last theatrical released Scooby movie I reviewed (Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed) I mentioned while it was good they stayed true to the source material at the same time it also damaged that movie. But with this one I give them credit for doing something different. Also when you get down to it, Scooby and the gang are kind of like Batman and Superman. What I mean by that is there's not just one version of this particular character or this case characters. For instance there's A Pup Named Scooby-Doo where the gang are solving mysteries as children, then there's What's New, Scooby-Doo where it's very much Mystery Inc. but if they've been established in the early 2000's (so 2000s they got the band Simple Plan to sing that show's theme song), and then Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated where even though it has a tongue-in-cheek approach it was also a very darker take on the franchise and so forth.








Scoob! is a movie I think you should give a chance. It has good animation, some good jokes thrown in there, surprising emotional moments, and a different take on the series. The new voices will take time but you'll come to like them. The only negative was the shoehorning of other Hanna-Barbera characters.








My final rating is Good








Alright, I'm all done here. Do come back on Monday, May 18th for my Underrated Films review of The Rocketeer. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment