Saturday, July 11, 2020

The Old Guard Review




The Old Guard is a comic book movie based on the comic of the same name. The movie is produced by Skydance Media and Denver and Delilah Productions and distributed by Netflix. The Old Guard is written by Greg Rucka and directed by Gian Prince-Bythewood.





The story is a pack of mercenaries who can not only heal from wounds but are also centuries old. This is soon discovered by a mysterious threat, this threat wants to capture them, find the secrets to their abilities, and then use them for their own purposes. Now this immortal warriors must fight for their freedom.








Initial Reaction



Truth be told I wasn't all that excited for this movie. Mainly because the last time Netflix made a movie about a comic book it was The Last Days of American Crime and that was such a letdown. But, I prefer to judge a movie's final product instead of basing my judgment on a past experience or other things I hate that modern critics do today. So with a sense of optimism I was going to give it a chance.








Cons



I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.







Middle Ground



One thing that could've had more work done is the character development for the other characters. We get lots with Andy and Nile but very little with Booker, Joe, and Nicky. There development felt sort of like a blink and you'll miss it. Now since this is an adaptation of a comic it's only natural that things get changed. I didn't mind a large majority of the changes. My only real complaint is how the bad guy looked, cause in the comic while he wasn't this big muscular beast he also didn't look like your average school science teacher.







Pros



One aspect of The Old Guard I liked was the chemistry with the cast. Everyone really worked well with each other, whether the scene was something serious or a more light hearted moment. What I also liked about the movie was the action. Now I'll admit none of it felt mind blowing but it was a lot of fun to watch. The final thing I'll praise about The Old Guard is the why. I really liked how nobody can explain why them specifically were chosen, the time limit to their immortality, and every other question about their special ability. It really made for a good mystery.








The Old Guard is an action movie I think is worth checking out. The cast's chemistry was good, the action was a blast, and the mystery surrounding the immortality was quite interesting. The mix bag is character development and some changes here and there.








My final rating is Good








So that's all for me. Due come back on Monday, July 13th for my review of Apple TV+'s Greyhound starring Tom Hanks. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment