Monday, July 19, 2021

Fear Street Part 3: 1666 Review

 


Fear Street Part 3: 1666 is a supernatural horror movie and the third and final installment in the Fear Street Trilogy. The film is produced by Chernin Entertainment and distributed by Netflix. Fear Street Part 3: 1666 is written by Leigh Janiak, Kate Trefry, and Phil Graziadei and directed by Leigh Janiak.





The story is it's 1666, and a paranoid witch-hunt has grasped a small village. They punish a girl named Sarah Fier. What the villagers don't know is this will have a deadly consequence for centuries to come. Meanwhile, the kids of 1994 and the kid who survived the massacre back in 1978, team-up to put a stop to this curse once and for all, before it's too late.












Initial Reaction


Since I enjoyed the first two movies (the second one more so than the first) naturally I would be excited for the final chapter in this series. Although for this one I was a tad bit worried. Mainly because trilogies can be really hard thing to pull off. Sure we've had quite a few good third acts in a trilogy, but then you those ones that were either decent or really bad. But, I went into this with high hopes.








Cons


The movie's biggest problem is there isn't an even balance between the 1666 storyline and the 1994 storyline. For the 1666 segment we spent (and I tried to time this as best as I could) 1 hour, 5 minutes, and 57 seconds, but for the 1994 segment we only spent 39 minutes and 9 seconds. So because of this odd runtime for the later half of the story, the second part of 1994 is rushed. If anything two things should've happened, 1) 1666 should've been shorter or 2) the filmmakers really should've tried to find a way to even out both segments.









Middle Ground


The grey area for Fear Street Part 3: 1666 is the acting. Now it's still good, but I was always kind of smirking during some portions of the 1666 segment, because I had no idea what kind of accents the actors/actress were using. I think maybe...Irish? I wasn't too sure to be honest.










Pros


Now let's move on too more positives aspects of the movie, that being there's actually a pretty good twist involved. Can't give it away because spoilers, but what I will say is when rewatching 1978, one character's dialogue about how a lot of people have died because of him, now has a whole new meaning to it. Another good thing about the film was it's actually a pretty good finale. We know the full story of the curse, and we got a pretty epic final showdown with the one who brought the curse to Shadyside and it finally ending. The last thing I'll give 1666 credit for is the mysterious mid-credit scene. Kind of makes me wonder what's gonna happen next. I'm hoping it'll be a new film series, and not revolving around these characters, because I feel as though their story has concluded.









Fear Street Part 3: 1666 is a flawed yet decent conclusion to the trilogy. It had a good twist, the final was epic despite a short runtime, and that mid-credit scene is very interesting. While the performances are still good, I just couldn't help but giggle a couple of times whenever the actors/actress were using some sort of accent for the 1666 part of the story. The only real downside for the film was there wasn't an even balance between 1666 and the 1994 part.









My final rating is Okay.









Well, that's all for me. Come back on Thursday, Jul 22nd, because on that day we return to the Road to The Batman, with my review of Batman Forever. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment