Thursday, July 22, 2021

Road to The Batman - Batman Forever Review

 


Batman Forever is a 1995 comic book movie based on the DC Comics' character Batman, and the third movie in the first Batman film series. The movie was produced by Warner Bros. and PolyGram Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. Batman Forever was written by Akiva Goldsman, Janet Scott Batchler, and Lee Batchler and directed by Joel Schumacher.





The story is Bruce Wayne is going through the horrible memory of the day he lost his parents, and to add to that not one but two villains have arrived to Gotham City to cause havoc. Those two are Two-Face and the Riddler, and to make matters worse, they've decided to team-up in an effort to destroy Batman once and for all.













  • Negatives


My only true problem with the movie is the characterizations of our villains, Two-Face and Riddler. Motivates and plan wise it's them, but character wise no. Riddler is just Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey and Two-Face is acts more like the Joker from the old Adam West show, then the Two-Face I've read about in the comics or watched from Batman: The Animated Series.










  • Mix


One mix bag with Batman Forever is the performances. I really liked Val Kilmer as Bruce Wayne in this, really played the billionaire playboy well, and he did a pretty good with the tormented soul Bruce Wayne. His Batman I think is alright. Nothing I found really insulting. Tommy Lee Jones was alright, I think he just needed better material to work with. And Jim Carrey, sure he could go over the top in some scenes, but I thought he was alright overall.



The other mix with the film is the special effects. For a good portion of the movie their good, really good. We got some great miniatures and the makeup on Two-Face was well done. The only time I didn't like them was when they used CGI. It's very outdated.


Then we have the more psychological aspect of the movie, and pretty much the reason why I kind of like Batman Forever. It's the one aspect of the film where we did a good amount of but I still wanted to see more of. There was a line in Batman Forever, where Bruce is talking about his parents' death but instead of saying someone else killed them, he said "I". Like I said I really wished they kept more of that stuff in there. If only there was verison of this film that had that *cough #ReleaseTheSchumacherCut cough*. If only.










  • Positives


One positive to give the film is the action. It has definitely a much needed improvement compared to Batman Returns. It was fun, energetic, and could kind of get a little bit intense sometimes.



The last thing I'll give Batman Forever credit for is Joel Schumacher's directing. Not only did he direct some good actions and had some pretty cool shots in here, but this is one of the movies that showed he how quickly he could adapt to any genre thrown his way. Prior to this movie, he directed The Client, Falling Down, Flatliners, The Lost Boys, and St. Elmo's Fire. Those movies had nothing to do with superheroes or comics, they were either dramas or horror flicks.









I think Batman Forever gets too much of a bad reputation because it's lumped into Batman & Robin. Is it a perfect Batman movie? No. Is it at least a decent one? Yes. From performances to special effects to the more psychological, those were all decent. The really good was the action and Schumacher's directing. The only thing I didn't like was the characterization of our villains.









My final rating is Okay.









I really hope we do get that Schumacher Cut, cause the one common word I've heard be tossed around with that cut is "darker". Hopefully someday (🤞🙏). Anyhow, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Jul 26th for my Classic Film Night review of Reservoir Dogs. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment