Saturday, August 14, 2021

Free Guy Review

 


Free Guy is a sci-fi action comedy movie. The film is produced by Berlanti Productions, 21 Laps Entertainment, Maximum Effort, and Lit Entertainment Group, and distributed by 20th Century Studios. Free Guy is written by Matt Lieberman and Zak Penn and directed by Shawn Levy.





The story is Guy is a non-playable character working as a bank teller for the game Free City. One day Guy becomes aware of the fact he's in a game, and his decides to stop living his daily routine and become the hero the city needs. However, the developers find out about this and want to shut the game down, now it's a race against the clock as Guy must save his city.











Initial Reaction


I was looking forward to this movie for two reasons. 1) I love Ryan Reynolds, I think not only is he a good actor, but he's also a pretty funny guy. 2) I'm also gamed to see an original movie. I think of it as challenge because I won't be reviewing something that's a reboot, remake, or something relating to a popular franchise. I get to judge the film on his own original idea and how well it executed that idea.









Cons

I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.









Middle Ground

One thing I was okay with was the more romantic parts. I thought that aspect was done fairly well, I just wasn't full blown infested in it. The other mix bag was our main villain Antwan. I do like the fact he's a greedy game developer, because as much as we don't like it, there are developers out there that are like that. What I wasn't interested in was his characterisation. I have no idea how to describe his character. I think what the writers were going for was someone who thinks he's the coolest, but he acts so odd nobody is gonna think that. Although maybe, that's what they were going for. I don't know, like I said, it's really hard to explain.









Pros

One thing I do want to give the credit for is the humor. This is probably the funniest recently released movie I've seen so far. You do got a few that don't work but, my laughs were ranging from a snicker, to chuckles, to a full blown laugh. My favorite joke was a cameo appearance from an actor who was a big of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Didn't see that coming and it was hilarious. Another thing that makes Free Guy was the action. Because this takes place in the world of a video game, not only could the filmmakers get creative but, it also made those scenes very unpredictable. The other aspect that really made the film good was the performances from Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer. Jodie because she had to have good chemistry with Joe Keery's character in the real world, and Ryan Reynolds' character in the game world. And was fantastic with both. And what I loved about Ryan's performance was this is probably his most wholesome role yet. He really made Guy very likeable. The last thing I'll give the movie credit for is it actually stuck the landing with it's premise. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a movie that had a great premise, and they either had a decent execution or they failed entirely.









Free Guy is a movie I think you should check out in theaters. It has great humor, fun action, great performances from both Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer, and it nails it with it's premise. The only things that are in a gray area are the romances and our villain.









My final rating is Good.









So yes, I recommend you check out Free Guy. Anyhow, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Thursday, Aug 19th for part four of my Road to The Batman. For that one I'll be reviewing Batman & Robin, I can't tell you how long I've been wanting to review that one. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment