Thursday, August 5, 2021

A Look Back at Suicide Squad (2016)

 
NOTE: FOR THIS REVIEW I WATCHED THE EXTENDED CUT, BECAUSE AS OF THIS MOMENT, IT'S THE CLOSEST THING TO AN AYER CUT WE HAVE.




Suicide Squad is a 2016 comic book film based on the DC Comics' supervillain team of the same name, and the third installment of the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). The movie was produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, DC Films, RatPac-Dune Entertainment, and Atlas Entertainment and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Suicide Squad was written and directed by David Ayer.





The story is the world is in shocked after Superman died, with this in mind intelligence officer Amanda Waller takes to opportunity to convince the U.S. government to allow her to make a special black ops team consisting of supervillains. That team being Task Force X aka the Suicide Squad. This team is called into action after the Enchantress manages to break free, and wreck havoc on the city, now the Suicide Squad must find a way to stop her, or the entire city will be taken over.














  • Negatives


My only true issue with the movie is the music. What I mean is we have more songs and less score. And because of that decision I remember the songs quite well, but not that much of the score.









  • Mix


The only thing I was mixed on was the reshoots/editing. Now yes, we know how full knowledge that this movie was messed with by the studio (Warner Bros.). But it's been a lot time since I watched Suicide Squad so when I re-watched with a new pair of eyes, I can tell a lot more of what's what. But the reason I'm not too bent out of shape about is because, unlike Zack Snyder with Justice League, at least David Ayer got to shoot those reshot scenes. So you kinda get an Ayer-esque movie, but you still want that full Ayer style.



What was also a mix bag is the character depth. You do get quite a lot of character in what you would assume is just a big, loud blockbuster flick. Although, and this is probably going back to editing/things getting cut, there are some characters who I think we're supposed to have more depth to them than what we got. I'm thinking Katana, maybe I'm wrong but I felt like maybe there was suppose to be more there. Probably feel that way, because of the backstory regrading her husband.









  • Positives


Now for more positive talk, that being the make-up. It's very well done, and even though there is CGI here and there, I was so happy to see some practical effects being used. Cause back in 2016, when I heard Killer Croc was going to be in this I thought he was just going to be a big CGI creature, thankfully I was wrong. Sure, that means the character is now smaller, but he's design still looked good.



What also makes Suicide Squad a pretty good movie is the action. I was having an absolute blast watching the Squad just tear through all of the bad guys.



Another thing that was a positive was the mid-credit scene. Whether I watched the theatrical or extended cut, that scene will always be awesome. It's also a nice lead-in to Justice League. Zack Snyder's, I was by no means talking about "Josstice League".



The last thing I'll give Suicide Squad credit for and this is the movie's biggest strength, is the performances. Even if the script (or at least this version of it) isn't the perfect story, the cast is still phenomenal. Will Smith brought his usual charisma, Jai Courtney actually nails with Captain Boomerang. And Margot Robbie and Viola Davis, wow. Talk about perfect casting, it's like these two were just born for the roles of Harley Quinn and Amanda Waller.









Suicide Squad is just fine. It's not the best but, at the same time it's not the worst comic book movie, the latter being a complete overexaggeration. It has great make-up, fun action, an awesome mid-credit scene, and an amazing cast. The reshoots are okay and there is some character development. Although I would've preferred more score and less songs.









My final rating is Okay.









Well, that's all for me. Come back on Saturday, Aug 7th for my review of The Suicide Squad. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment