Saturday, August 21, 2021

Reminiscence Review

 


Reminiscence is a science fiction movie. It was produced by Kilter Films, Michael De Luca Productions, and FilmNation Entertainment and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Reminiscence is written and directed by Lisa Joy.





The story is it's the near future and Miami has been flooded by the rising sea levels, because of this dark future a man named Nick Bannister became an expert in a dangerous job. Nick can help people live their most desired memories, one day a mysterious woman named Mae comes to him for just that. However, different client's memories implicate Mae in a series of crimes. Now Nick must look to the past and uncover the truth about the woman he feel in love with.











Initial Reaction

Now I had two reasons of why I wanted to watch this. Reason #1) I find the premise very interesting. Having some sort of way to let people view old memories, and then having to use said memories to solve a mystery is quite an intriguing concept. Reason #2) I'm very curious to what Hugh Jackman has been doing post-Wolverine. Being meaning to watch his other movies such as The Greatest Showman and Bad Education but I haven't found the time.









Cons

I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.









Middle Ground

The only thing that slightly bothered me but no too much was the pacing. There were times when the movie could get just a little too slow in some scenes.









Pros

One thing I want to praise the movie for is the cinematography. This is a beautifully dark looking movie, it looks very gritty but at the same time there's a beauty to it. So I really dug a lot of the shots. Another thing I liked was the world. We really get to know quite a bit. From what happened during the flooding, to what jobs people had during the flooding, what people are doing after the disastrous event, and what the living conditions are for the rich or poor. And what made it even better is we learn quite a lot from so little. The other aspect of the film that was good was Hugh Jackman's performance. Sure, his character can be nice, but when he's actually angry, you may want to start apologizing soon. What also felt like made Reminiscence worth checking out is the mystery. A couple months ago I watched a movie called The Woman in the Window, the mystery for that was disappointing because it didn't keep your interest, but with this movie I was actually wondering what kinds of twist and turns were going to come next, and even trying to piece things together just like our main character was. Speaking of that mystery I can't tell you how relieved I was when the mystery wasn't overshadowed by the more romantic parts of the movie. Because before I saw I was thinking one was going to get more attention than the other. Thankfully with Reminiscence there was a nice balance between the two.









I'm actually surprised that this film is getting such a mixed response, because I actually really liked it. It's got eye catching cinematography, a very interesting world, a good performance from Hugh Jackman, an interesting mystery, and even balance between mystery and romance. The only mix bag is sometimes the pacing can be slower in some scenes compared to others.









My final rating is Good.









So yeah, if you're interested in Reminiscence I think you should check it out. Anyhow, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Aug 23rd where I'll begin the Road to The Matrix 4 (calling it that for now until an official title is dropped), with my review of The Matrix. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment