Saturday, January 7, 2023

M3GAN Review

 


M3GAN is a sci-fi horror movie, that's produced by Blumhouse Productions, Atomic Monster Productions, and Divide/Conquer and distributed by Universal Pictures. M3GAN is written by Akela Cooper and James Wan and directed by Gerard Johnstone.





The story is a roboticist named Gemma uses A.I. to create a lifelike doll named Model 3 Generative Android, aka M3GAN, to be the perfect child companion and a parent's greatest ally. Soon Gemma unexpectedly gets custody of her niece Cady when her parents die. Gemma enlist the help of MEGAN to give a hand in taking care of Cady. But what Gemma doesn't realize yet, is this is decision will lead into a horrifying bloodbath.








Initial Reaction

If any of you read my most anticipated movies list, then you'd know why I'm looking forward to this. But if don't want to read that, here's the short abridged version. I wanted to see this because it was written by the same people who brought the entertaining as hell Malignant. So I just had to see what other crazy stuff they came up with this time around.








Cons

The only draw back is the PG-13 rating. Whenever I watched a kill scene, me along with everyone else couldn't shake the feeling that the violence was suppose to be way more gruesome than what we got. I actually believe the movie would've benefited more had it stuck with an R rating. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if this was suppose to be rated R. And if there is an unrated cut, I really hope it gets released.








Middle Ground

I've got nothing here. Just scroll on down.








Pros

One pro is the special effects. There's a mix of makeup, CGI, and maybe even a bit of puppetry. And they all blended together perfectly, for a lot of scenes it's actually hard to tell which one is which. There's also a great balance of dark humor spread throughout. Especially get satire on the toy industry. The movie even starts off with a parody of toy commercials that got a great laugh out of me. I also want to praise the performances. I wasn't expecting any bad performances from this, it's just that it was quite surprising to really great acting on display. Even the child acting from Violet McGraw and Amie Donald. Amie did all the physical stuff for the character of M3GAN. And not only was I surprised by her more body language acting, but she also did her own stunts and she did a great job at them. And what made Violet so great was she showed a lot of acting range despite her young age. She showed quietness, sadness, she has this great scene where her character just completely snaps and slaps someone. Just truly phenomenal acting from the entire cast. The last thing I'll praise and not only is it the movie's greatest strength, but it was something that nobody was expecting from the movie, and that's a story of the importance of human connection, and how people, parents especially, are using technology as a crutch. Both of which I feel like we can't argue against. We've seen, read, and know it's important for us as humans to interact with other people out in the real world. And we also know that there are parents out there, who just give their kids an iPhone and/or an iPad, or will just sit their child in front of a TV, and just call it a day. The movie demonstrates that perfectly by showing that by not only showing M3GAN taking care of Cady more so than Gemma, but also shows that when Gemma puts her foot down, and takes M3GAN away, Cady loses it a bit. That very real world element, is just as frightening or more so, then when M3GAN goes full blown killing machine.








While I do wish M3GAN lean more towards rated R territory, overall I still had good time with this movie and feel like if you're curious about seeing it for yourselve, I wouldn't be against it. Even anything, I'd encourage it.








My final rating is Good.








That's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Jan 9th, for my review of the newest Netflix movie, The Pale Blue Eye. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment