Saturday, October 28, 2023

Five Nights at Freddy's Review

 


Five Nights at Freddy's is a supernatural horror movie based on the franchise of the same name. It's produced by Blumhouse Productions, Scott Cawthon Productions, and Striker Entertainment and distributed by Universal Pictures. Five Nights at Freddy's is written by Scott Cawthon, Emma Tammi, and Seth Cuddeback and directed by Emma Tammi.





The story is Mike Schmidt is a down on his luck security guard looking for work. His prayers have been answered when he's given a job to work at the once successful family entertainment center, Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. It seems like a normal job, but after midnight, Mike soon learns that the animatronic mascots not only move on their own, but terrorize anybody who's still in the building.








Initial Reaction

Now at first, I was gonna skip this movie and not even bother reviewing it. Mainly cause I've never been a Five Nights at Freddy's fan. But then I took a step back and realized something, I've reviewed not one, but two movies that were basically inspired by Five Nights at Freddy's. So I might at as well make this circle full, and review the actual Five Nights at Freddy's movie.








Cons

I've got nothing, just scroll down.








Middle Ground

One mix bag with the movie is the pacing. Sometimes it's pretty good, but there are some parts were things go much slower than they needed to be. Then there's the scare factor. Now, there are a few genuinely creepy moments, and there is a body count, but sometimes the movie's just more entertaining than scary. Unlike some people I wasn't too disappointed about the lack of blood and guts. Guess 1) the movie's rated PG-13, so there was only gonna be some much they could get away with. 2) the games themselves weren't rated M, but 12+. Also, from the footage I would go to see after watching this, and reading from people who are far more knowledgeable about the games then me, while there'll be blood, the games primarily focused on atmosphere and living things up to your imagination. Now, sometimes the latter does happen, as for the former...not so much. So I think if the movie had a better, creepier atmosphere, then maybe things would've been better received. Which now brings me to the story. The biggest praise I'll give is the movie does develop the characters, I actually did grow to care for these people. Really the only complaint I have is when we were nearing the end, it did kinda feel like they were rushing to wrap things up.








Pros

The truly great thing about the flick is the look. The design team, cinematographer, etc. clearly worked really hard to make it look like the game's locations and animatronics look they jumped out of the game and onto the big screen.








Five Nights at Freddy's isn't perfect, but it did turn out far better than what I thought would. I say if you're a fan of this franchise, then maybe you'll get a kick out of this.








My final rating is, Okay.








That's all for now. Come back on Monday, Oct 30th, for part five of Looking Back at the Films of 2022. For that, I'll be reviewing Terrifier 2. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment