Thursday, October 19, 2023

Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match Review

 

Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match is a direct-to-video adult animated marital arts film, which is based on the Mortal Kombat franchise. While being a prequel, it also serves as the fourth installment of the Legends series. It was produced by Warner Bros. Animation and NetherRealm Studios and distributed by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match is written by Ed Boon and directed by Ethan Spaulding.





The story is action movie superstar Johnny Cage is living the life he's wanted and is enjoying it all. Then one day he finds out about a secret sinister society and their evil plot. Now, Johnny Cage must become just like the action heroes he portrays and put a stop to them.








Initial Reaction

While the Legends series hasn't been flawless, I can't say I haven't been entertained. So naturally I was excited for the next installment, I was even more pumped when I found out it would be all about Johnny Cage. Yes, Johnny is one of my top favorite characters from Mortal Kombat.








Cons

I've got nothing, just move on.








Middle Ground

I only had one mix feeling with this and that was the 80's setting. Now don't get me wrong, it is actually a really good setting. The movie is pretty much a tribute to that decade from the music, the fashion, the colors, and so on. I didn't even grow up in the 80's and I absolutely loved what the movie was doing, where the slight issue comes in is with the continuity. If the movie takes place in the 80's, then does that mean that the first Legends film [Scorpion's Revenge] also takes place in the same decade, or is this some sort of new timeline? I don't know, cause it's never explained. Maybe if you don't care about things like continuity and just want an entertaining story, then you're more than likely to really enjoy this one.








Pros

Let's get this one out of the way quickly, the action continues to be bloody fun. We continue to see violent and creative ways characters get brutalized. Now for the other good thing about Cage Match is Joel McHale's performance. The guy just nails the character of Johnny Cage perfectly, and I'd like to think he's having a fun time playing this character. Then there's the humor, while it sometimes it doesn't work, a good portion made me laugh. I especially liked a lot of Johnny's narrations. Some people had a problem with that, but come on, this is Johnny Cage we're talking about. If the guy gets the chance to run his mouth, he's gonna take it. Especially if he's still a story, about himself. The last thing I'll write about to wrap up this review is the art style. While I did like the style from the previous movies, it's always a good idea to change from a certain art style. It keeps things fresh.








While you might have some issues with the movie, overall, Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match is a fun watch.








My final rating is, Good.








Okay that just about wraps things up. Come back on Monday, Oct 23rd, for when I debate which Night of the Living Dead movie is better. The 1968 classic or the 1990 remake? Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment