Thursday, November 2, 2023

A Look Back at Invincible - Season 1

 


With season two on the way, it's time to look back at the season that started it all.





Invincible is an adult animated comic book series based on Robert Kirkman's comic series of the same name. It was produced by Skybound North, Wind Sun Sky Entertainment, Point Grey Pictures, and Amazon MGM Studios and distributed by Amazon Prime Video. Invincible was created by Robert Kirkman. This season consist of eight episodes.





The story is Mark Grayson is the son of the strongest superhero, Omni-Man, and he wants to be just like him. The problem at first is at first it looks like Mark's powers aren't arriving, this all changes when they finally do. Soon Mark calls himself Invincible and lives out his dream. But soon, he finds out that somethings just aren't what they seem.








  • Negatives

I've got nothing, move to the next part.








  • Mix

The only gray area with the show is the changes. Now, naturally whenever you're making an adaptation making changes might happen. Hell, the writers for another Amazon comic book show [The Boys] that made a lot of changes. Some of the changes to Invincible are great, others are questionable, and others just suck, I think you know which terrible change I'm talking about, *cough Amber cough*.








  • Positives

One spectacular thing about the show is the action. It's awesome. And yes, it is very violent. Tons of blood and quite a bit of guts, but it's not so over the top to the point of parody. The violence is primarily to show just how damaging a hit can be or is.



Then we got the animation. I'll admit, I do wish we got something more closer to Cory Walker or Ryan Ottley, but after watching the entire season, the animation/art style grew on me. I also like how the animators put in tiny details and keep those tiny details. For instance, one character sustains damage to their eyes, and they're all blood shot, and by the next episode and throughout that episode, the damage is still there. I know it's small, but it's just a nice detail.



Now for my thoughts on the performances. When the cast was first announced I was surprised by how stacked it was. I wasn't expecting J.K. Simmons to be Omni-Man, but I certainly liked the casting choice. But other than, star power, the cast is just amazing. They really bring these characters to life, giving them personalities and feelings that feel very real.



The last thing I'll praise is the story. While we do get our the typical tropes one would expect from a series based around superheroes, we do get something else, and I'm not just talking about the graphic violence. I'm referring to how we see the characters grow from their experiences, while at the same time we get an investigation, where the closer and closer the characters get, the more and more something's about to give.








I really enjoyed this season and I'm hoping the next will be just as good.








My final rating is, Great.








That's going to do it for now. Come back on Monday, Nov 6th, where I'll tell you things you probably didn't know about filmmaker, David Fincher. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment