Saturday, December 16, 2023

Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget Review

 


Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget is a stop-motion comedy movie and the sequel to the 2000 film. It's produced by Aardman Animation and Netflix Animation and distributed by Netflix. Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget is written by Karey Kirkpatrick, John O'Farrell, and Rachel Tunnard and directed by Sam Fell.





The story is Ginger, Rocky and the rest of the gang have been living in harmony since escaping the farm. Everything seems perfect, until they receive bad news. A new threat has appeared on the mainland, and this could be trouble for Ginger and co. Now, instead of breaking out, they must break in.








Initial Reaction

Having really loved the first movie, I was fully on board for the sequel. Although I was a bit skeptical because only one of the three original writers came back, but I still remained hopeful.








Cons

I've got nothing.








Middle Ground

The only mix bag was the story. Now, overall the premise is actually pretty good. I think the one of the two issues stem from a lighter tone and fan-service. Now maybe the lighter tone won't bother you and for the most part it didn't really bother me, but with this lighter tone it did feel the movie's stakes were that bad, even though there still is some danger involved, if that makes any sense. Which brings me to the fan-service. Now,there's nothing wrong with fan-service, especially when it's executed well, here there a few times, not too many, where the fan-service felt like it got in the way.








Pros

One pro was the acting. Now it does take a bit of time to get use to the new voices, but when that's out of the way, you can clearly hear just how talented the cast is. They did a tremendous job. Then there's the humor, while some jokes didn't work, for the most part I had a good laugh. Sure, I wish it was on par with the first movie, but with what we got, it's not too bad. The absolute best thing about the entire movie was the animation. Unsurprisingly Aardman did a fantastic job with the stop motion. But for this movie there was stop motion and digital technology, and those two things blended perfectly. I mean it, I didn't notice anything digital at all. That's how great of a job the animators did.








While Dawn of the Nugget isn't as good as the first movie, the movie was still far better than what I feared it was gonna be.








My final rating is, Good.








Alright, that's all for today. Come back on Monday, Dec 18th, for my Cinematic Disasters review of, Santa Claus Conquers The Martians. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment