Monday, March 18, 2024

A Look Back at Road House (1989)

 


With the remake arriving very soon, it's time to look back at the 1989 original.





Road House is an action movie. It was produced by Silver Pictures and distributed by United Artists. Road House was written by David Lee Henry and Hilary Henkin and directed by Rowdy Herrington.





The story is, professional bouncer James Dalton has been called in to help with security at bar located in Jasper, Missouri called the Double Deuce. While things seem to be getting better for the bar, a crime lord is angry by one of Dalton's decisions, and now he wants to bring down both the bar and Dalton.








  • Negatives

I've got nothing.








  • Mix

The only gray area is the dialogue. Sometimes you'll get something pretty good like 

"What if somebody calls a whore?"

"Is She?"


Then you'll get something odd like the famous "Pain don't hurt.", yeah um, I've been in pain, and sometimes it hurts and sometimes it really hurts. Then when it's not odd it's...this,






I don't know about any of you, but if some dude said that to me in the middle of a fight, I honestly don't know what my next move would be. That has gotta top ten WTF things to say during a fight.








  • Positives

Now for the positives, such as Patrick Swayze. The guy is pretty cool in this. He's basically playing a character who is calm and collective but still is ready to fight. And ya gotta give the credit for being able to perform his own fight and stunt scenes. Kinda makes it more sad that he's no longer with us.



Then there's the action. If you just want simple hand-to-hand, here's your movie. No special effects, no wire work, just old fashioned punches and kicks.



The last thing I'll touch on, and it's the movie's best aspect, and that is, it's over the top fun, and the movie knows it. It knows its not a deep movie, so of course we get nothing but entertainment. But how over the top is it? Well, this is a movie where a bad guy goes to a car dealership and destroys said cars, with a freakin' monster truck! Like I said, it's just pure unapologetic fun.








While I'm well aware that Road House isn't perfect, I don't understand why people say it's bad, or so bad it's good. Cause even though there's flaws, it's not bad, and it's not hilariously poorly made to be considered so bad it's good or any other aspect of a so bad it's good movie, oh well. I liked this movie and I'll always get a kick out of it.








My final rating is, Good.








That's all for now, come back on Thursday, Mar 21st, for my review of the Road House remake. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment