Monday, March 25, 2024

Looking Back at the Films of 2023 Part Three - John Wick: Chapter 4

 


Alright, it's now part three. Let's begin.









Why Didn't I See John Wick: Chapter 4?

Now I did want to see this movie, but for some reason my theater doesn't show these until weeks after their original release date. Doing so means I won't be reviewing the movie when it's still fresh. I really don't understand why my theater does this? I mean, it's not like John Wick is the biggest action franchise in recent years or something.





What is John Wick: Chapter 4?

John Wick: Chapter 4 (for some reason this one didn't come with a subtitle unlike the last movie) is a neo-noir action thriller movie and the sequel to John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum. It was produced by Summit Entertainment, Thunder Road Films, and 87Eleven Productions and distributed by Lionsgate. John Wick: Chapter 4 was written by Shay Hatten and Michael Finch and directed by Chad Stahelski.



The story is, after being left for dead John Wick wants revenge on the High Table and those who betrayed him. Now, it's an all out war between John and everyone who's in league with the High Table. Will John be the last one left standing or will he finally fall?





My Thoughts


The Good: One praise goes to the performances. Keanu still continues his win streak giving a spectacular performance, whether that be through dialogue or with actions. Then there's Donnie Yen, it's no surprise he can do action. He's a top level action star whether it be here in the States or in Hong Kong. But he's also quite well when it comes to slower moments whether he has to speak or go with body language. And to my surprise he and Keanu have really good chemistry. Never in a million years would I think those two would be great together. Then there's the pacing. I was surprised by this. The movie clocks in at 2 hours and 49 minutes, yet it just breezes by. Not one moment felt like it was just padding the runtime. The next thing I'll touch upon is the cinematography. This is a gorgeous looking movie. It's probably the best looking John Wick movie yet. We got from places being lit by neon lights, to a grungy nightclub, a beautiful sunset setting. No matter the location the place looks incredible. Which brings me to Chad Stahelski's directing. Now since the first John Wick movie, Stahelski has shown he's great behind the camera. But here, here he's absolutely amazing. There's this one scene where John Wick is just shooting at everybody, but instead of some over the shoulder shot, we instead get this awesome overhead shot and it looks like something straight out of a video game! It was amazing and it's without a doubt my favorite sequence throughout the whole movie! I loved it! With that said this now brings me to the action. Ladies and gentlemen, words actually fail to describe just how amazing the action. I mean it, sure, I could try to explain, but it just doesn't do the scenes justice. Not only that it's pretty crazy how much stuff escalates. One moment where doing top notch hand-to-hand fights, next thing you know we're seeing people spinning cars and using them as weapons. It's crazy stuff. The last thing I'll praise is the ending. While I am fully aware they're making a John Wick 5, that doesn't change the fact that the ending is perfect. It's very fitting for John Wick. Which means for the next movie they really need to bring the wow factor for five, cause how are you gonna top that ending?




The Bad: I've got nothing.




The Okay: Nope, I got nothing either.





Final Verdict: A Must Watch.










Okay, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Thursday, Mar 28th, for my review of Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey 2. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment