Monday, April 3, 2017

Road to Spider-Man: Homecoming- Spider-Man 3 Review

Note: This review contains spoilers. You have been warned.

Image result for spider-man 3 poster

Spider-Man 3 is a 2007 superhero film directed by Sam Raimi and written by Sam Raimi, his older brother Ivan Raimi and Alvin Sargent. It's produced by Marvel Studios(before the Marvel Cinematic Universe) and Laura Ziskin Productions and distributed by Columbia Pictures.


The story is it's been three years since Spider-Man 2(2004) and Spider-Man is now New York City's favorite hero and everything seems great for Peter Parker but then new villains have come to take on Spider-Man and a mysterious black substance has gotten on Peter and is changing him for the worse.


  • Negatives

One thing that I think everybody can agree is Venom/Eddie Brock's(Topher Grace) lack of screen time. He was definitely not thought of that much when the script was written. I can only remember three scenes with him and that was when he was introduced, when we as fired from the Daily Bungle, and then Venom. So Eddie Brock really needed more screen time for people to get invested with his character and his arc.


Another problem this film has is the unnecessary love triangle between Mary Jane-Watson(Kristen Dunst), Gwen Stacey(Bryce Dallas Howard), and Peter Parker(Tobey Maguire) it really didn't need to happen if they have kept it to Peter and Gwen just being friends and Peter & Mary Jane being a couple that would have be fine or just cut Gwen completely out of the film and saved her from the next that also would have been a good idea but no the studio told Raimi to put her in so we got stuck with her.


There was also the storyline between Peter Parker and Harry Osborn(James Franco) that was being hyped up since the first Spider-Man film because Harry blames Spider-Man for his dad's death. It was they were going to fight each other as their respected identities it was going to be Spider-Man vs. the new Green Goblin but one bump on the head with Harry and it's scrapped for a large majority of the film. Then the rivalry comes back into the fray when Peter gets his black suit and then after Harry's butler tells him the truth about his father's death Harry forgives him and then they  team-up against Venom and the Sandman.


The film also has a problem with continuing Uncle Ben's death by throwing a twist which is it wasn't the carjacker from the first film it was Flint Marko(Thomas Haden Church) aka the Sandman. My problem with this is it's been talked about in the previous two films they shouldn't have made it the Sandman who killed Ben and not brought up Ben's death...again.


Then there was emo Peter. What the hell was that all about I mean the symbiote made him a darker version of himself but it didn't make him an emo. Seriously what the hell?!



  • Mix
I got nothing to say here let's move on.



  • Positives
Now there's not say there isn't anything good in this film cause there is something nice to say about the movie. One good thing to say is the designs for both the Spidey's red and blue suit is still a good design and I like the black suit as well sure it's just red and blue but with slight design changes such as the way the spider looks a little bit different but I still liked the look.


Also this movie wanted us to feel bad for the Sandman and I did feel for the guy. I mean his was daughter was sick and all he wanted to do was find a way to make her health again no matter what it takes. I think parents and the audience can understand where he's coming from.


Another thing I give the film credit for is all the fight scenes. Whether it was Spider-Man vs. Sandman, Peter Parker vs. Harry Osborn, or Spider-Man & Goblin vs. Venom and Sandman. All the fights were done very well by Sam Raimi so thumbs up for that.


One other good thing about this film were the performances. Yet again this film series proves the actors can still do a good job playing their characters.



I also liked how they handled Harry's death. It was sad for me to see this character that I knew since 2002 to die. This entire scene was played very well and felt sorry for his friends because well they lost their friend.




Spider-Man 3 didn't give Venom enough screen time, had an unnecessary love triangle, and I hated how they very quickly ended the rivalry between Harry and Peter. I also didn't like we yet again are told about Ben's death and emo Peter again what the hell?! but I also did like the black suit, the action scenes, and the performances are still good, and I was also very sad to see Harry die.




It's very hard for me to rate this film because if I give it a bad, awful, or my lowest rating destroy it I'll be following every other critics opinion on this movie but if I give it an okay then people might claim I'm being a "Raimi-fanboy" but screw it my final rating for this movie is Okay and if you disagree with him then alright that's fine you have you're opinion on Spider-Man 3 and I have mine.



P.S. I'm not done talking about Sam Raimi's Spider-Man series just yet because next time I'll be talking the cancelled sequel Spider-Man 4 in my segment Lost Films.

No comments:

Post a Comment