Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Grinch Review




The Grinch (as known as Dr. Seuss' The Grinch) is a 3D animated Christmas comedy film. The movie is based on Dr. Seuss' 1957 story How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The movie is also the third adaptation following the 1966 TV special How the Grinch Stole Christmas! and the 2000 film of the same name starring Jim Carrey. The Grinch is produced by Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment and distributed by Universal Pictures.



The story is The Grinch has had enough of the Christmas season so he decides to hatch a scheme to steal Christmas from the residents of Whoville. What he doesn't know is Cindy Lou Who is on her own adventure and it could possibility ruin the Grinch's plans.





Initial Reaction



Now I'm going to be perfectly honest I had no intention of seeing this movie. In matter of fact my original plan was after I posted my Aquaman easter egg post announcement I was going to go on a break and come back just in time for Ralph Breaks the Internet. However I found out my theater wasn't going to show that film because they wanted to make room for Robin Hood starring Taron Egerton. So I decide to get rid of my break and see this movie. The other reason is I've seen this story before twice actually three times if you ever read the book. So what would be the point. But yet again I do like Illumination's work so I figured why not give it a try. After all those trailers did get a good laugh out of me.




Cons



I've got nothing to say so let's move on.





Middle Ground



Now one thing I read about for the reviews for The Grinch is the movie didn't add anything new. That's both a yes and a no. There are couple of new stuff that the writers added it's just yes they did keep somethings the same old same. New things just as The Grinch's reason for hating Christmas and the whole storyline involving Cindy and her mom. But at the same time we get the whole The Grinch's heart grew three sizes thing. Personally for me it's not a bad thing that they kept same stuff the same but some of the changes could have had a bigger effect on the film.





Pros



One thing to like about the movie is the animation. It's wonderfully done and very beautiful. Another thing I liked about the movie that I didn't expect to happen is Cindy Lou Who. Typically in The Grinch adaptations is she's all "Santy Claus". Yes her plot still revolves around that but what I'm talking about is this time they gave her more of a personality, as suppose to just cute little girl. The other thing the movie does what I thought worked was they did modernize things but not in the way that will make you shake your head. The new gadgets the filmmakers put in do look like something Dr. Seuss would make in his books. Benedict Cumberbatch plays our title character and he did a good. He played a very likeable Grinch. The final thing I'll say about The Grinch is the humor works. It wasn't anything that made me belly laugh but there were times when I laughed out loud, so that has to count for something.






The Grinch is definitely a passable movie but in all honesty you really don't have to rush in for this flick. While the story does feel like it wants to do something different it did feel like it was brought down because the writers still felt they had an obligation to keep somethings the same. What does help the film is it's amazing animation, Cindy's new personality, modernizing things but still keeping in a way Seuss would make it, Cumberbatch's performance, and the humor.




My final rating is Okay





State of The Project (Oct 25th - Nov 19th)




Oct 25th - Cinematic Disasters - Jaws: The Revenge



Oct 29th - Underrated Films - The Monster Squad Review



Nov 1st - Update Regarding The Road to Dark Phoenix



Nov 5th - My Aquaman Easter Eggs Post is Coming Back



Nov 8th - What You Probably Didn't Know About Dr. Seuss



Nov 10th - The Grinch Review



Nov 19th - Is It True? - Malcolm Grows Up to be Walter White





NOTE: IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL TELL YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment