Saturday, March 9, 2019

Captain Marvel Review


Brie Larson in Captain Marvel (2019)


Captain Marvel is a comic book film based on the Marvel Comics' character Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel. The movie is produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. The movie is written by Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck, Geneva Robertson-Dworet, and Jac Schaeffer and directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck.



The story is in 1995 Carol Danvers a soldier for Starforce has gone back to Earth. Her mission is to stop a war between the Kree and the Skrulls or the planet will be devastated by this battle between the two alien warriors. During this mission she discovers things related to her past.






Initial Reaction



Now I'm going to be fully honest. This is the first MCU movie that I wasn't really fully excited for. Mainly because I wasn't a fan of Captain Marvel both Mar-Vell or Carol Danvers. I also did't help that the marketing just felt bland and then there was Brie Larson's "activism". Both those things were not doing this movie any favors. But none the less I was still interested in seeing it and I not only want to support Marvel Studios' films but comic book movies in general.





Cons



One flaw in this movie is how Nick Fury lost his eye. Remember that one scene in Captain America: The Winter Soldier where Nick said "Last time I trusted someone, it cost me my eye." Well in Captain Marvel it's not something serious it was just a joke. Then at the end at the movie we find out where the name "The Avengers Initiative" got it's name and it was something really forced. My other problem with the movie is during the second act there's a what I felt like was a rushed bond with Maria Rambeau and her daughter. I say rush because at one moment they meet up and then boom they believe her story. I mean Carol's been gone for six years and one quick meeting everything's good. I'm not saying the film should have spent the last acts of the movie focusing on that but like I said it really felt rushed. Now to talk about Brie Larson's performance. Sadly those trailers where she isn't being very charismatic were accurate. She's very wooden. It's like she tries to give emotions but it just falls flat. My other problem with the movie are the flashbacks. The main issue being there's no weight to them. There just random moments in our title character's life and that's it. The final aspect of Captain Marvel I didn't enjoy was the post-credit scene. It was one of the worst post-credit scenes I've seen since Thor: Ragnarok.






Middle Ground



The other grey area is the CGI. Some of it is good other times not so much. The other mixed bag with the movie is the humor. Some of it is fine but other times I was just shaking my head and wondering why.






Pros



One thing I liked about the movie is the tribute to Stan Lee. That pulled on the heart strings and was just beautiful. Another thing I liked was Talos. At first it seems like there's nothing going on for him but once we get to the third act there's a whole other lair to his character that I wasn't expecting. The other thing I liked about Captain Marvel was the makeup on the Skrulls. It was really well done and had lots of details to it. The last thing I'll give the film credit for is Samuel L. Jackson's performance. He was really good and still continues playing Nick Fury to a perfect ten. I also loved the mid-credit scene. It really gets you hyped for Avengers: Endgame.







Captain Marvel sadly isn't what we all thought would be Marvel's answer to 2017's Wonder Woman. The tribute to Stan Lee was great, Talos was a surprisingly laired character, the makeup on the Skrulls was good, Samuel L. Jackson's performance was very well done and a perfect mid-credit scene that sets up Avengers: Endgame. The CGI really needed some polishing in some scenes and some jokes worked while others didn't. The really bad parts were the stories behind Nick's missing eye, how "The Avengers Initiative" got Avengers in the title, Larson's performance, random flashbacks that really don't have weight to them, a rushed reunion with Maria Rambeau, and an awful post-credit scene.





My final rating is Bad But Harmless






So yeah Captain Marvel was a real letdown. Hopefully the Russo Brothers can make her awesome when Avengers: Endgame comes out. None the less expect an easter eggs post on Captain Marvel on Monday, March 11th. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment