Saturday, March 30, 2019

Dumbo (2019) Review


Dumbo - Poster Gallery


Dumbo is a fantasy adventure and a live-action remake of the 1941 film of the same name. The movie is produced by Walt Disney Pictures, Tim Burton Productions, Infinite Detective Productions, and Secret Machine Entertainment and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.



The story is a circus elephant is born with large ears that allow him to fly. This is soon discovered by entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere and he wants to make Dumbo a star. However Dumbo's owners soon discover that everything isn't all glitz and glamour.








Initial Reaction



Now so far Disney in my opinion has done pretty well with their live-action remakes in recent years. 2015's Cinderella was good, 2016's The Jungle Book was great, I haven't seen the 2016 remake of Pete's Dragon so I can't give a quick opinion on it, and I really liked 2017's Beauty and The Beast. So of course I would be looking forward to this newest remake of a Disney classic. Although as per usual I was also being skeptical with me excitement. None the less I was still excited to see this movie.





Cons



I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.







Middle Ground



The only thing about Dumbo you'll have a tough time with is Michael Keaton as V.A. Vandevere. Keaton gives a pretty good performance but his character is kind of generic.







Pros



One aspect I liked was the titled character. Much like his 1941 counterpart he's adorable and you just want to see him come out on top. Another thing I think you'll enjoy about the movie is the performances. Each of the cast does a good job acting as their respected characters. Especially Danny DeVito as Max Medici. He was one of the most entertaining characters in the film. The part of Dumbo I liked was Tim Burton's style. You get so many wonderful shots in the movie. That they'll leave you amazed. What I also enjoyed from Dumbo (2019) is the darker tone. I was not expecting that from this flick. Which I think will really help it stand out from the original 1941 film. The another facet of Dumbo (2019) I enjoyed was much like the 1941 version was the emotions. During the big climatic end of the film I got a little emotional.






Dumbo (2019) is a film I feel the whole family can enjoy. Dumbo is a great and cute animal character, the performances are also especially Danny DeVito's, Burton's signature style is gorgeous, the darker tone is welcomed surprised, and the emotional moments are there. The only thing that's stopping me from giving it a higher rating is V.A. Vandevere. While Keaton does have a good performance his character is just a little bland.






My final rating is Good






All right guys that's going to do it for me. Come back Monday, April 1st for my review of the newest DC animated movie, Justice League vs. the Fatal Five. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment